4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2011 12:48 PM by [Jongware]

InDesign CS4 not exporting all caps to ePub?

eminemily442

I am using InDesign CS4 to export a book to ePub and am trying to maintain consistency within the titles of the chapters. For some reason, some titles are remaining lowercase, even when I have manually defined the character style as all caps and have physically typed them in as all caps with capslock on! Any ideas/suggestions? Is this just a bug that I'll have to manually fix in the content file after exporting?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: InDesign CS4 not exporting all caps to ePub?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If you’re doing a lot of epub work, then I highly recommend upgrading to CS5.5.

The epub functions have been dramatically improved.

Bob

• 2. Re: InDesign CS4 not exporting all caps to ePub?
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

eminemily442 wrote:

... even when I have manually defined the character style as all caps ...

As Bob says, that's at the mercy of InDesign's conversion from its own styling to CSS. It's not perfect, and it's not even possible to do it perfect (or else web pages could look like they were created with advanced typography and layout ...). You would need to inspect the exported CSS to make sure.

OTOH,

Bob Levine wrote:

The epub functions have been dramatically improved.

but I'm not too sure InDesign's capitalizing is exported into the CSS.

Then again,

eminemily442 wrote:

... and have physically typed them in as all caps with capslock on!

Now that's plain impossible to get wrong on an export. Not even "improbable", this ought not have happened and suggests a problem in the chair rather than in the computer.

• 3. Re: InDesign CS4 not exporting all caps to ePub?
              eminemily442 Level 1

Thank you both for your time. I saved the file as a different name and the reader picked up the caps I had manually typed in with caps lock...It's still not fun having to do it all by hand but at least it is working!

• 4. Re: InDesign CS4 not exporting all caps to ePub?
                [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Well, here's a tip-of-the-day. In the Type menu you can find the option to convert text to uppercase. (Notice this is NOT a display item, it physically converts the text.)

And if you find you do this on a regular base, you can always assign a hotkey to the command.