6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2006 2:36 PM by Opera Rat

Invisible "Movie Clips" in Director

Opera Rat Level 1
      I have been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out how I would do the equivalent in Director:
      In Flash I have a movie with 2 movie clips. 1 clip is a buch of questions and depending on how you answer them an animation runs in the other movie clip. To the end user, it looks like one screen on the same background.

In Director how do I create a separate timeline (questions/clickable answers) that effect another timeline (response animations)? If I use MIAW they have a window boarder. I would really like it if these 2 timelines were running on a base timeline where other things do their thing when the quiz is over. This would be the background with all the other buttons/links.

Possible, impossible, stick to Flash? HELP!
        • 1. Re: Invisible "Movie Clips" in Director
          Level 7
          1. You could build these response sections on another section of the
          score. Then you could extend the questions sprites to that new area.
          When the user answers one way, jump to a new marker and show the
          response stuff.

2. You could build the response sections using sprite channels in the
          same score area as the questions. For instance, the question part uses
          sprite channels 5 through 50, the first response uses sprite channels
          100 through 200, etc. Once you have the response parts set up as you
          like, move all of the sprites off the visible area of the stage, and
          move them back as needed.

3. You could build your response sections in another section of the
          score. When the user answers, create a new bitmap member, use the stage
          image as the image for that new member. Move to the new section of the
          stage and place an instance of that new member in one of the back sprite
          channels, say 5.

There are more...

--
          Rob
          _______
          Rob Dillon
          Adobe Community Expert
          http://www.ddg-designs.com
          412-243-9119

http://www.macromedia.com/software/trial/
          • 2. Re: Invisible "Movie Clips" in Director
            Opera Rat Level 1
            Wow, all of that sounds so much more complicated than 2 movie clips on the stage in Flash. I would just create a Flash movie and bring it into Director but here is the complication with that. The response section has a musical score and a cursor that moves accross the score with music that will play - well, actually that isn't the response that is part of the listening portion of the question that I want in the response area. So the user will be instructed to listen to a section of music and follow along. When the music stops playing he can slide the cursor back and forth to see the music again if he needs to to answer the question that he is now asked. If he answers wrong, the score will show him why he isn't right. That is why there will be different responses to different answers. Now all that coding for the moving cursor and changing score has been done in director in another part of the program where the student can listen to the entire piece and follow along. I don't want to reinvent the wheel in Flash. I want to use variations on the code that is written in Director.

So can I tell my Flash movie the plays in Director to move to a mark on the Director timeline according to which Flash answer they choose. This may be my easiest method.

OR I guess I could just use 2 Director movies. After question 10 change movies. I'm trying not to have a director score that's 1,500 frames. I would need to keep track of several variables throughout the entire quiz. The more I think I have this solved, the more I find I'm lost.
            • 3. Re: Invisible "Movie Clips" in Director
              Level 7
              It doesn't sound like you're lost at all. You have this fairly well
              thought out. It's important to work in Director using Director methods
              and work in Flash using Flash methods. Trying to force Flash methodology
              on Director won't work well at all.

Director has 1000 sprite channels available. You can set up the content
              that would be in a Flash clip in a series of sprite channels. Then you
              can turn off or on, those channels as you need. You shouldn't need to
              move to another section of the score, but that is an alternate method.
              Remember that you can have more than one score window, and so you can
              look at more than one area of the score whenever you like. You can also
              set colors for each sprite channel so that it is easier to see what is
              going on in any one area of the score.

--
              Rob
              _______
              Rob Dillon
              Adobe Community Expert
              412-243-9119

• 4. Re: Invisible "Movie Clips" in Director
                Opera Rat Level 1
                Thinking vertically in time seems like a Director thing - turning channels on and off.
                I would like to try it. I have to show the work I've accomplished so far by tonight - yikes. So how does this sound as a possiblity. Each question/answer/response animation set will take up 15 Sprite channels and about 100 frames. I would stack my question/ans/res sets on top of each other (in different channels but in the same 100 frames). So for example, q1 would take up sprite channels 1 through 15 and frames 1 through 100. q2 would take up channels 16 through 31 on frames 1 through 100. After question 1 is answered I would tell the timeline to move back to frame 1 and turn off sprites 1 - 15 and turn on 16 -31. Is this possible? If so, what would be the on exitframe code that would do such a remarkable feat?

You see, I don't want them one after the other in the same channel, because I KNOW that someone is going to change the length of something in a channel and that would throw off everything that comes after it.
                • 5. Re: Invisible "Movie Clips" in Director
                  Level 7
                  If you have q then response happening one after the other, then you
                  could easily use sequential frames. You can still use unique sprite
                  channels for each item.

If you want to do the loop thing, then you can just put a simple if...
                  then... condition in the last frame:

on exitFrame me
                  if q1 = true then
                  repeat with n = 1 to 15
                  sprite(n).visible = false
                  end repeat
                  repeat with n = 16 to 31
                  sprite(n).visible = true
                  end repeat
                  end if
                  end

You'll also want to start off at the first frame of this section by
                  turning off and on the correct sprite channels. Remember that when you
                  turn off the visible property of a sprite channel, it stays off, whether
                  there's anything in that channel or not.

--
                  Rob
                  _______
                  Rob Dillon
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  412-243-9119

• 6. Re: Invisible "Movie Clips" in Director
                    Opera Rat Level 1
                    Thank you. That helped alot. I've decided to do what I thought was a bad thing (many sprites in many channels in many frames). Your answer encouraged me to have the questions/responses follow each other sequentially and each set will be on different sprites. (I'm waiting for the sound bytes for each question and answer and that is going to screw with my sprites' timing. So mulitple channels is a good thing.) I think the responses which follow the questions will be in separate channels and the appropriate channel will be set to visible according to the answer choosen. I can't wait to have this thing finished!