4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2011 10:31 PM by reindeer4

Trying to reduce file size of my opening page in a flash site

reindeer4 Level 1

I'm using the Flash CS4 IDE, and the first page of my site takes a lot longer to load than I want it to.  So I wanted to go through the varied images / symbols / movie clips / sounds and so on to see where all the memory is being chewed up.

When I go into my library, however, I can see the Name, LInkage, usecound and Type of my elements, but no mention of file size and I can't seem to find any right click menu that lets me add file size to the list of details being displayed.

Is there a way to make it show file size?  Or some workaround?

And are there any best practices to reduce file size aside from using symbols for anything that's used more than once and reducing image and sound quality?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Trying to reduce file size of my opening page in a flash site
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

by "first page", do you mean the first frame of your swf?

• 2. Re: Trying to reduce file size of my opening page in a flash site
            reindeer4 Level 1

I was actually using the term pretty loosely.  I'm building a Gaia site which works by loading an Index page, then a Nav (navigation) page on top of that, and then lets you load and unload pages as necessary on top of those.

Since the Nav page never gets unloaded it's a good place to park certain content.  So it's actually my Nav page that's gotten too bloated.  And the coding is handled through a separate Nav.as file (so it's not the first frame of my nav.swf, it's all the varied movie clips I had to incorporate into my Nav.fla

I'm just looking for a way to identify which MovieClips &  sound files (only have a couple of short ones) and other assets are taking up the most memory so I can see if I can cut those down.

Also, do unused symbols use up memory or is it only the assets you actually end up adding that count toward file size?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Trying to reduce file size of my opening page in a flash site
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

click file/publish settings/flash and tick generate size report.  publish.  you'll get a debug report in your publish-directory that you can check.

• 4. Re: Trying to reduce file size of my opening page in a flash site
                reindeer4 Level 1

Thanks kglad - that was exactly what I was looking for. 

I have a fairly complex page with numerous items on it, but the log revealed one embedded video file (which I'd originally created in After Effects and brought in as an XFL file) which took up roughly 80% of the overall file size.  I'll either swap that out for a simpler movie clip or load the video in the background as it's not needed right at the start.  Either solution will be a marked improvement, so much thanks for helping me isolate the problem.