8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2011 7:41 AM by inertiahz

Viewing Premiere Pro's Cut Points?

inertiahz

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a way when using dynamic link to bring in a Premiere Pro sequence to then see in After Effects where the cuts in the timeline have been made?

I am using the CS5.5 Master Collection, if that makes any difference

Thanks

• 1. Re: Viewing Premiere Pro's Cut Points?
          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

When you replace a PrPro sequence with AE composition via Dynamic Link, you come in with a composition, containing another one (a pre-comp), which name is identical to your PrPro nested sequence.

ADL. Sequence replacement 01.jpg

Double-click it to open, and you'll see all the layers representing clips in your PrPro timeline.

ADL. Sequence replacement 02.jpg

P.S. Bear in mind that not all effects or/and transitions are properly translated while transferring from PrPro into AE via Dynamic Link

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Viewing Premiere Pro's Cut Points?
            inertiahz Level 1

Cheers for the answer on the replace with AE comp dynamic link method in PP, do you know if there is a way to do it when you import a sequence into AE through dynamic link?

My workflow is editing 1920x1080p AVCHD in PP -> import the sequence in AE via dynamic link to then use the camera tools on the sequence and output to 720p.

• 3. Re: Viewing Premiere Pro's Cut Points?
              Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

If I'm not mistaken, when you choose Adobe Dynamic Link -> Import Premiere Pro Sequence... within AE, you import your sequence as a footage, not as a composition (the same way when you import AE composition into PrPro via Dynamic Link). Hence, you may use it as a single layer in a brand new composition, but don't have access to separate layers that would represent your cuts in PrPro timeline.

However, you can e.g. preliminary add sequence markers in where cuts are in the timeline - then you'll see layer markers in AE. Not sure if that worth time spending...

I'd sooner use Import -> Adobe Premiere Pro Project... then instead...

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Viewing Premiere Pro's Cut Points?
                inertiahz Level 1

You are correct that it imports the sequence as footage unfortunately for some reason it does not bring in the sequence markers.  Thanks for the suggestions though, I wonder if there is any way of exporting to an xml and importing the markers that way?

• 5. Re: Viewing Premiere Pro's Cut Points?
                  Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Not sure what exactly doesn't work in your case...

Just for the sake of playing with sharing PrPro markers (not for discussing the workflow of how to bring PrPro sequence into AE)

Sharing PrPro markers 01.jpg

1. When you import PrPro sequence into AE via Import -> Adobe Premiere Pro Project..., AE converts sequence markers into comp markers and clip markers into layer markers

Sharing PrPro markers 02.jpg

2. When you import PrPro sequence into AE via Adobe Dynamic Link -> Import Premiere Pro Sequence..., AE converts sequence markers into layer markers and doesn't preserve clip markers

Sharing PrPro markers 03.jpg

3. When you replace a group of clips in PrPro timeline with AE composition, AE converts clip markers into layer markers and doesn't preserve sequence markers

Sharing PrPro markers 04.jpg

4. When you replace nested PrPro sequence with AE composition, AE converts sequence markers into comp markers and clip markers into layer markers (similar to #1), which are preserved in nested pre-comp

• 6. Re: Viewing Premiere Pro's Cut Points?
                    inertiahz Level 1

That makes sense, however following option 2, I can't see any of the markers.  I think i'll try the old un-install / re-install method, see if that fixes it for me.  Thanks for the clarification though

• 7. Re: Viewing Premiere Pro's Cut Points?
                      Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Not at all.

Report back how it goes - if not me, then some other worthies on this Forum will probably be able to help.

• 8. Re: Viewing Premiere Pro's Cut Points?
                        inertiahz Level 1

Hi, just thought I would post back after reformatting and re-installing and everything is now working as expected