1 2 Previous Next 39 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2015 9:37 PM by arturz79937928

Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing

mrsarge

Hi,

we use Adobe Reader X on our Windows 2003 Terminalservers with Citrix Presentation Server 4.0. Since we upgraded from Version 10.0.0 to 10.1.1 sometimes the process acrord32.exe is still active when user close the program. The problem is that the process is still running in the background and consumes lot of cpu and memory. We have to close it manually with the task manager. Proteced Mode is disabled, other configuration settings we didnt'd made.

Any ideas what can cause such problems?

best regards,

Sarge

• 1. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
          WRO2

I am having the same problem in Windows Vista 32bit SP2. My next step is to remove Acrobat and reinstall it, but from what I have read I am not sure that will fix it either.

• 2. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
            WRO2 Level 1

I think I fixed this issue on my system. I uninstalled the application acrobat.com and the problem stopped. This program was installed back in 2010 and so was probably a left over from previous versions.

I hope this helps you.

WRO2

• 3. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
              mrsarge Level 1

we don't have other adobe products installed on the servers; maybe I try a fresh installation of adobe reader 10.1.1 or I go back to version 10.0.0 (not a good option because some features are missing).

best regards,

Sarge

• 4. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                WRO2 Level 1

My solution only worked for a while then the problem came back. I then completely uninstalled the 10.1.1, and then went back to adobe and downloaded a fresh install. Everything is working as it should for now, but I keep my eye on the CPU usage when I exit a PDF file.

WRO2

• 5. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                  mrsarge Level 1

did a fresh install of Adobe Reader 10.1.0 MUI and then updated to version 10.1.1 Unfortunately the problem with unclosed processes acro3d32.exe and high cpu usage is still the same. I went back to version 10.0.0, maybe it is a bug in the actual version ?

best regards,

Sarge

• 6. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                    htrtde

We experience the same phenomenon with Adobe Reader 10.1.1 on Windows Server 2008 R2 configured as Remote Desktop Session Host. I hope very much that this will be fixed in 10.1.2 !! :-)

Harald

• 7. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                      JCarvell

Hi guys,

We too have a multi-server citrix farm and are having the exact same issue. We have to contantly monitor the % User CPU time and kill acrord32.exe whenever it goes over about 5% or it keeps climbing and eventually bogs down our servers. A fix for this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks Adobe,

Jordan Carvell

Forsyth Barr Ltd

• 8. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                        JCarvell Level 1

.... seriously... annoying.... the crap.... out of our whole helpdesk team....

• 9. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                          JCarvell Level 1

I'm going to post in here every day until this is resolved... it is causing us tremendous issues and complaints from users... not cool adobe... not cool.

• 10. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                            JCarvell Level 1

still not even a helloe from an Adobe admin.

bump...

• 11. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                              JCarvell Level 1

Still no traction... going to start looking for an alternative to Adobe.

• 12. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                                ZiadKafeine

We have the same Issue on Windows XP.

Are all of you using some DFS Path ?

After spending a HUGE amount of time trying to understand what happened, I found that :

Here is how to make Adobe Reader refuse to close :

Add a file in the MRU with a DFS Path in position c1 !

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\AVGeneral\cRecentFiles\c1]

"sDI"=hex:bllabla in hexa

"tDIText"="/domain.ad/dfsfolder/otherfolder/NORMAL/PATH/TO/MY/file.PDF"

"aFS"="DOS"

It's enough to make Adobe Reader X 10.1.1 infinitely hang when closing in some specific conditions that i need to investigate.

If you change /mydomain.ad/ to /oneserver/ (see below) then adobe reader is not crashing anymore.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\AVGeneral\cRecentFiles\c1]

"sDI"=hex:bllabla in hexa

"tDIText"="/SERVERNAME/dfsfolder/otherfolder/NORMAL/PATH/TO/MY/file.PDF"

"aFS"="DOS"

Look like another DFS Problem (cf error while opening in 10.0)

Still investigating the issue...

• 13. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                                  JCarvell Level 1

all a bit beyond me there fella...

keep us posted though!

• 14. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                                    Innfreds

Hi there,

Good to see that we are not alone in the dark.

We also have the same problem Reader 10.1.1 - Citrix - Windows 2003 Server.

2 months you have started this thread and still "No SIGN" from Adobe !!! That weird !!

I will completely uninstall the reader and search for a lighter, less buggy, and in better terms with our Citrix farm !!!
                                    I will keep you posted

Good luck to all.

Fred

• 15. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                                      JCarvell Level 1

Hi Fred,

In my opinion we are all alone in the dark, Adobe doesn't seem to want to weigh in on this issue. Let us know how you get on finding a replacement!

Thanks for dropping in,

Jordan

• 17. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                                        JCarvell Level 1

still no update!? really?!

• 18. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                                          ZiadKafeine Level 1

Since we move our network map drive from :

N:\ =  \\domain.ad\dfsfolder\otherfolder\

to

N:\ =  \\OneSERVERNAME\dfsfolder\otherfolder\

We are not facing this issue anymore. We think that it was a combination of 2 problems (domain.ad in MRU + something else : trouble with our DFS ?? )

We used a workaround to avoid having this \\domain.ad in the Adobe Reader MRU and this problem is now past.

• 19. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                                            Briggs-JBELL

We are also experiencing this issue on our two W2K8 R2 RDS servers.

We are going to be forced to either downgrade or switch to an alternative if this is not fixed soon. Our users are unable to use these RDS servers until the processes are manually ended by our limited IS resource.

• 20. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                                              JCarvell Level 1

Thanks for that Briggs-JBELL, another witness, how many more before adobe finally comes to the party and sorts this **** out?!

• 21. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                                                SirHCJ9

Just adding my voice to those clamouring for a solution.  AcroRd.exe is currently taking up 50% if my CPU although no pdfs are open.

Windows 7 32 bit

4 GB Ram

2.93GHz core 2 duo CPU

• 22. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                                                  ZiadKafeine Level 1

Our final answer was to remove rights on the registry entry : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\AVGeneral\cRecentFiles\

On most of the other computers removing \\pathto_dfs_folder was enough.

We had one computer still showing the issue...We removed the rights now ok.

We know it's only a workaround...

• 23. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                                                    SirHCJ9 Level 1

ok thanks - I hadn't seen that.

• 24. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                                                      JCarvell Level 1

So theres a new version out, has anyone had a chance to test it out?

• 25. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                                                        jasonbne

Another one here, very interested to hear if 10.1.2 fixed the problem for anyone?

• 26. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                                                          notafan777

Over 2500 views of this thread, and no reply from Adobe!  (and no surprise to me) 

My experience with this company goes back to the 90's, when my graphic arts department used to collapse in a puddle of stress and unproductivity every time a new upgrade from Photoshop was installed (and crashed).  The day I heard they bought MacroMedia (flash), I almost cried! 

My conclusion is that they have such a legacy of sloppy code, with little regard to other software compatibility, that they CANNOT fix the problem with AcroRd32.exe, without going back to the drawing board and starting over with best practice and doing it right.  Well, been waiting 2 decades for that to happen, and it's not going to happen, ever!!

That is why no answer, and why this problem persists through each upgrade.  Reader 7 had this problem, maybe even earlier.

• 27. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                                                            copenhagenmail Level 1

I have had issues with Adobe Reader X hanging (not responding) due to a conflict between an antivirus program and the Adobe Reader X Protected Mode/Protected Viewer sandbox features.

Adobe has a recent(2012-01-09)KB article http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86063.html entitled "Protected Mode troubleshooting". There is a similar article (2011-09-12) http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/901/cpsid_90161.html entitled Protected View troubleshooting.

khwajakhurram replied to my query suggesting unchecking the default Adobe Reader X Preferences >3D & Multimedia> "Enable hardware rendering for legacy video cards" setting and this solves the issues!

What is surprising is that Adobe Reader X's 3D & Multimedia settings report that the alternative preferred renderer modes are either software or DirectX9 .....on a Vista machine with DirectX11.

The video card on this machine is definitely not legacy but a recent quality Nvidia produced card. That is also the case on the other machines with the issue I have reported.

I went a step further and I have found that performance is vastly improved by changing from the default preferred renderer mode of DirectX9 to the alternative Software setting. 

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86063.html mentions that "certain configurations of anti-virus software that have not yet white-listed AcroRd32.exe" are "Unsupported configurations for Reader running in Protected Mode". Therefore I have also excluded AcroRd32.exe from virus scanning.

I am now able to use both Adobe Reader X's Protected Mode and Advanced Security without issue and performance is vastly improved. I am certain that your issues will also be solved.

notafan777 suggested that the problems are due to a legacy of sloppy code and this certainly seems to be the case here with these very odd default settings influencing performance to such an extent.

• 28. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                                                              LesterClayton

Having just found this particular thread, I regret to add that I too am having this issue.  I think however it would be good for all of us who are having the issue to compare our environments, so that we can try to find one or more common factors so that Adobe can (assuming they wish to) try to find the root cause and repair it.  I am going to create a list of Questions and Answers - please feel free to use this to compare against your environments, and if you are willing - share your answers too.

Operating System: Windows 2008 R2 Standard

Acrobat Reader Version: 10.1.0

Citrix Version (Where applicable): XENApp 6.0

Problem Description: Closing Adobe Acrobat which has a document open makes it disppear from screen for the end user, however the process does not disappear, and Acrobat starts consuming high amounts of CPU time.  The application needs to be killed from Task Manager or similar.

Problem Affects: Citrix users only - does not affect RDP

Location of Document: File server - accessed via a network mapped drive through a DFS Namespace

Antivirus Application: F-Secure Anti-Virus 9.20 build 16040

Additional Comments (if any): My users open documents through an application developed on Microsoft Dynamics.  This application uses standard a ShellExecute to open the document - so it's effectively the same as double-clicking the file in Windows Explorer.

I would like to share a picture taken during a user session.

http://i.imgur.com/hSF5F.png

In the above image, you can see that there are 4 instances of AcroRd32.exe - 2 parent/child instances, and therefore 2 documents open.  The document which shows no utilization is the one the user is currently viewing.  The one with 49.25% Utilization is a document they have closed.  Upon my request, the user has closed the document they are still viewing, and now it looks like this.

http://i.imgur.com/CnKse.png

If the user quits the parent application (Microsoft Dynamics NAV Client) the problem is not rectified.  Clearly, the problem affects documents which are closing.

The PDF Document in question is created from a Scanner, and is 1 or more pages of graphics (no text, fonts or anything else fancy).  Since I am able to open and close the document without errors (via RDP I might add), I don't believe this to be a document related issue.

Process Explorer doesn't show anything out of the ordinary - in fact I cannot disginguish the stack between a document that's still open and a document that's been closed and "hanging".

Process Monitor on a "hung" thread shows absolutely nothing - no file, registry, network or thread activity.  I had to turn on Process Profiling to get it to show anything.

http://i.imgur.com/G6WTr.png

I have blocked access to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\AVGeneral\cRecentFiles for the same user above.  I have killed all instances of Acrobat, and asked the user to try to open a document again and close it - which they did - and the problem appeared to go away but was back the very next time they opened a document.

• 29. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                                                                JCarvell Level 1

Hi all,

We installed the new version (10.1.2) during the weekend, on all of our TS servers, and yesterday was the first time in about 5 months we haven't had to force close a single adobe process, what a relief! We haven't done any extensive testing in terms of what other things this new version breaks; its adobe, i'm sure there is something, but as far as we can tell it has resolved OUR issue.

Good luck to you all, hope the new version works for your situations as well.

Still no reply from Adobe... you guys are muppets.

J

• 30. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                                                                  je79ayps Level 1

We're having the problem where Adobe Reader uses all of a CPU core when a user is closing the program but the .exe file is still running in the background.

We're running 10.1.3 and have been using that since it was released but the problem just recently started. It's running on top of Windows 2008 SP2 with Citrix XenApp 5.0 installed and using DFS.

The trick with denying the user access to the "cRecentFiles" don't seem to solve the problem.

Anyone who knows a way to solve this?

• 31. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                                                                    argh1961 Level 1

We have just recently started seeing this problem since updating from 10.1.2 to 10.1.3. It is happening on some of our Win7 Enterprise workstations. The problem isn't consistent, however. It doesn't happen to all users on a workstation. Also, it doesn't happen in all instances when you use the app. For the users that do experience the problem, it happens as follows (at least, so far):

The app will function properly if: you open a PDF by double-clicking it; or when opening from SharePoint, selecting 'Read-Only' when prompted.

The process will hang if: you open Reader first and then browse to the document using 'File ... Open'; or when opening from SharePoint, selecting 'Edit' when prompted.

Maybe this will help someone in troubleshooting. I've tried all the above and also tried deleting some of the files from the problem user profile folders to see if that would help, but so far, no good.

• 32. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                                                                      Boilermaker Nation Level 1

If you have Adobe processes (AcroRd32.exe) showing in the task manager after you close the Acrobat Reader that use up a significant amount of processor speed.  This is what you can do to fix it. 

Basically the file that is used by the welcome screen (ReaderMessages) has become corrupted (that file is located here on Windows 7 C:\Users\%UserProfile%\AppData\LocalLow\Adobe\Acrobat\10.0.)   Deleting that file did not help on a long term basis, but by disabling the welcome screen it bypasses that file and will close normally.  Unfortunately Adobe does not have a built in way to disable the welcome screen but you can disable it by making a small addition into the registry.

1. 1. Open the regeidt and navigate to
                                                                        1. a. HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\FeatureLockDown

1. 2. Add the a key with the name
                                                                        1. a. cWelcomeScreen

1. 3. Add a DWORD value to that key
                                                                        1. a. bShowWelcomeScreen = 0

It should look like this when your finished

reg.png

The welcome screen should not show when you open Acrobat Reader, and when you close the window the process should close with it.  If this fix does not work for you,  there might be something else causing your problem.

• 33. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                                                                        argh1961 Level 1

If I were to ever have a firstborn, I would owe him (or her) to you. The reg entry worked perfectly. Thanks for the help!

• 34. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                                                                          Danny (CT)

I was having this problem under Windows 7 and Adobe Reader 11.  Boilermaker Nation's solution above seems to work under Adobe 11 too and for Reader.

• 35. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                                                                            th_dr

I had the same problem with Adobe Reader 11 and Windows 7 Professional. Boilermaker Nation's solution worked for me. Why doesn't Adobe fix this?

• 36. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                                                                              jv_win8user Level 1

The same problem shows on a standalone PC with Win8, 64bit with Adobe Reader 11.0.07. The registry-modification from Boilermaker Nation did not changed the behavior, so where is a solution????

• 37. Re: Reader 10.1.1 on W2k3 TS - process not closing
                                                                                jv_win8user Level 1

Here is a fix for me:

Consuming CPU-time after closing Adobe Reader

Maybe it fits for someone else.

1 2 Previous Next