5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2011 7:15 AM by Peter Spier

Selective Page-Numbering within an InDesign Book

luke_westbrook

Hi,
      I have an issue that I hope you experienced users may have an easy solution to.
      Ive completed my book in the form of indesign documents, the chapters, introductions etc and have created a 'book' in order to compile these in order and for the page numbers to automatically reset and be sequential (see image).

However, two of these documents I don't wish to have page numbering and would like the 'Sample_Introduction' to start numbering from 1, however don't know how to switch off the numbering for these two documents.
      The two documents are 'Sample_FrontPages' (document contains the front sheet, copyrights page and title page) and the 'Sample_EndPage' (contains a single left hand page).

Or do I need to compile the book without my non-page numbered documents, considering the fact I'll need to produce a PDF eventually which is why I stored all the relevant documents into one 'book' in the first place. 

Thanks so much for looking
      Luke

ps.

Additional question, I need to produce a PDF for black and white printing but my Indesign documents contain different colours throughout.  Will this be a problem if my working profile is CMYK ?

Sample_Kalikana_Book.JPG

• 1. Re: Selective Page-Numbering within an InDesign Book
          wjnp2000 Level 2

It's simple.

On the Chapter that you want:

Go to Layout Menu / Numbering & Section options/ on the box start Section: mark the option Start Page Numbering At: 1

After that the other chapters will be numbering by this chapter.

be happy.

• 2. Re: Selective Page-Numbering within an InDesign Book
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

As mentioned above, reset the satrt page numbering at 1 for the Introduction document. This is going to leave you with two sets of pages numbered 1 through 5. It's customary to reformat the first set using small roman numerals, and you do that also in the numbering and sections dialog (this time for the first document). ALL pages must have a number assigned, but that does not mean it has to be visible. Make a second master page without the number marker to use for any pages you don't want to display numbers.

"Additional question, I need to produce a PDF for black and white printing but my Indesign documents contain different colours throughout.  Will this be a problem if my working profile is CMYK ?"

Yes, probably. Is this going to be printed commercially, or are you using your home B&W laser? If the output is to a monchrome digital printer, you'll probably get away with sending color and letting the printer do the conversion to grayscale, but you won't have any control over the conversion and some images will certainly not look as good as they would if you converted them in Photoshop beforehand using all of the tricks available there. If you don't have Photoshop skills, the difference may be minimal.

You can also print to PDF (directly, on windows, or to Postscript file and then distill on snow leopard or later) using Composit Gray for output and get similar results (set your Appearance of Black preference to Output All Blacks as Rich Black if you are going to print to Grayscale PDF or your type will be a tint of gray somewhere in the 90s). You should discuss this with the printer...

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Selective Page-Numbering within an InDesign Book
              luke_westbrook Level 1

Oh I see...  so the previous documents can't obviously be numbered negatively so InDesign knows to not apply numbers.  Perfect, thanks a lot buddy.

Don't know what to do about the end page but thats not too much of an issue anyway.

• 4. Re: Selective Page-Numbering within an InDesign Book
                luke_westbrook Level 1

Perfect, thanks for clarifying further.  So I'll apply the roman numerals on the first document (using a master page with hidden page numbers).

As for the PDF, its going to a commercial printer.  Thanks for your advice but it looks like its best I change the working profile to one the printer suggests before exporting to PDF.

You guys are great, thanks a lot.

• 5. Re: Selective Page-Numbering within an InDesign Book
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Since the end page is not going to show a number (that's what the second master is for) it makes no difference what number is assigned, so you might as well leave it as the last number in the previous sequence.

InDesign doesn't export to grayscale profiles -- only print -- so if the printer is suggesting a gray profile that won't help you a lot unless you go the print/distill route. You really will get far better results if you convert the images to the correct grayscale profile in Photoshop, then place them. Grayscale numbers are transferred unchanged to the Black plate of the current CMYK working space, so, for example, if you need to use 20% dot gain for grays, you will have the correct numbers on export as long as you don't do any conversion to a DIFFERENT cmyk output space during the export, and if there is no other color in the file the actual CMYK profile becomes essentially irrelevant.