0 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2006 2:38 AM by PushSax

Data out of bound

PushSax
      Hi

I am really tired of this issue and looking at all senior members to get me out of this problem. I have 5+ years of hardcare developer experience in AS1.0, AS2.0 and C#. So, please do not expect any silly mistake from me.

Scenraio:

I developed an online dynamic Flash test which provide users with objective type questions. User has to complete the test in given time frame or the test will get expired after given time and result will be uploaded to the sql database using flash remoting and C# .

Here i am calculating the time spent on each question by using the formula:

time spent = endTimer - startTimer;

where,
      startTimer contains the value when question is displayed on screen and
      endTimer contains value when user clicks on next button

Response Time string is uploaded to the server as a cumulative sum(Increasing by successive addition) where each question's individual time is calulated as:

time spent on question = Time spent on current question - time spent on previous question

Issue:
      Now the issue is, though the application is running perfectly fine on our local and staging server and even on Production server but there are some instances (say 1 in thousand users) when we have negative large value in our database response time field.

Datatype of time field in database is: Numeric
      Size of time field in database is: 9(10,2)

Sample negative response time as appeared in database:

Sample respones time of one test having negative value:

Perception i could make from this sample data is: It seems somehow the value is out of range. And the value appeared here is lower/upper bound of range. But how? and why?

Any idea?

Thanks to all incisive minds in advance.