15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2011 11:29 AM by rlaine

InDesign 7.5.1, slow resize - different than redraw

rlaine Level 1

I recently upgraded to CS5.5 from CS4 on my MacPro 2,26 Quad core Xeon 16GB DDR3.

I'm not sure if the screen redraw is necessarily any slower which has been discussed before, but I have a problem with slow resizing of objects. I have a script which resizes multiple images by -5 % but maintaining their positions, this is very necessary for my work with catalogs. With CS5.5 I noticed running the script has slowed down to take double the time it used to.

I did a test of opening the same .idml file and running the same script on a spread with many objects with CS4 and CS5.5. With CS4 it took 10 seconds, with CS5.5 it takes over 20 seconds.

I have already turned off all page thumbnails, preflight, screen redraw, whatever there is, but none of this makes any difference.

With CS4 I can see things happening while the script runs, I see individual objects get resized, but CS5.5 just halts until it's finished with the job.

I'm running all latest updates on Snow Leopard and like mentioned, my machine should be extra capable of this kind of jobs.

• 1. Re: InDesign 7.5.1, slow resize - different than redraw
          rlaine Level 1

I tried just resizing with percentage - not using the script - and it's the same difference, ID CS5.5 takes double the time than CS4.

• 2. Re: InDesign 7.5.1, slow resize - different than redraw
            rlaine Level 1

No one noticed similar behaviour or is this linked to the redraw issue?

• 3. Re: InDesign 7.5.1, slow resize - different than redraw
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

rlaine wrote:

No one noticed similar behaviour or is this linked to the redraw issue?

I'd say nobody else has noticed.

• 4. Re: InDesign 7.5.1, slow resize - different than redraw
                John Hawkinson Level 5

I recently heard a complaint that linking was slower in CS5.5 than previous versions. Perhaps that is related.

Of course, you really just pare down your script to the minimal reproducible test case and then post it!

• 5. Re: InDesign 7.5.1, slow resize - different than redraw
                  rlaine Level 1

This should be very easy to reproduce. I did a quick test on my laptop (i7 Macbook Pro, 8GB mem).

Create 300 rectangles on a page, select all and resize 50 %.

Takes 13-14 seconds on CS5.5

Takes 6-7 seconds on CS4 (same file, loaded via .idml)

It seems it's not about scripts or linked files.

• 6. Re: InDesign 7.5.1, slow resize - different than redraw
                    rlaine Level 1

I did the same test on my work Mac Pro (see first message for specs) and included CS3, here's the results for resizing 300 rectangles to 50 %.

22-23 seconds on CS5.5 (7.5.1)

8-9 seconds on CS4 (6.0.6)

11-12 seconds on CS3 (5.0.4)

Could someone try to reproduce this simple test for me as I'm really puzzled. I'm most interested if CS5.5 is really such a bad performer compared to CS4 or is it some settings that I may have missed. I skipped CS5, so I can't test that.

InDesign CS5.5 seems to perform exceptionally bad on a MacPro and almost as bad on a brand new MacBook Pro i7, both computers are clocked around 2.3 GHz.

• 7. Re: InDesign 7.5.1, slow resize - different than redraw
                      John Hawkinson Level 5

My results don't really match up with yours. Resizing an array of 10x30 rectangles 50%:

VersionTrial 1Trial 2
                      minor rev
                      CS319.1226.555.0.4.682
                      CS48.78
                      CS529.67

CS5.515.7216.857.5.0.142

That is, CS5.5 is much ebtter for me than CS3 or CS5, but not CS4. And in my case CS5 is better than CS3.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: InDesign 7.5.1, slow resize - different than redraw
                        rlaine Level 1

I think the results are quite similar afterall as far as CS4 vs CS5.5 go. CS5.5 is about twice as slow as CS4, CS4 being by far the fastest of them all. CS3 is more of a curiousity by now.

I'm amazed that CS5 might be even twice as slow as CS5.5. Doesn't anyone else think this is quite strange? I immediately noticed this in my workflow. With certain catalog projects, resizing images is major part of the work and if you do it all over again for weeks, it will add up to a lot of lost time (and nerves..)

• 9. Re: InDesign 7.5.1, slow resize - different than redraw
                          rlaine Level 1

Anyone else care to take this test? I will report this as a bug to Adobe. Must say I'm quite surprised that I seem to be in minority when thinking this is a major problem.

• 10. Re: InDesign 7.5.1, slow resize - different than redraw
                            John Hawkinson Level 5

I was able to generate some interest in this, and it turns out to be highly related to the panels you have open, especially including the Transform and Info panels, and also the precise configuration of the Control strip (panel), specifically the presence of the Transform XYWH and Transform Scale Rotate. So try hitting TAB to get rid of everything, then use Object > Transform > Scale and see what you get. Given that it's being looked at, it's probably not necessary for you to deal with Support.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: InDesign 7.5.1, slow resize - different than redraw
                              Grant H Level 4

Anyone else care to take this test? I will report this as a bug to Adobe. Must say I'm quite surprised that I seem to be in minority when thinking this is a major problem.

to me this issue not a surprise, with independent layers (needs to redraw them all), corner options (needs to "remember and recalculate" and store that info wether corner applied or not), and so on...

as upgrades come the demand on hardware increases...

G

en use Object > Transform > Scale and see what you get. Given that it's being looked at, it's probably not necessary for you to deal with Support.

as mentioned: there are things (workarounds) you can do to help performance.... if it plagues you that much...

• 12. Re: InDesign 7.5.1, slow resize - different than redraw
                                rlaine Level 1

John, that indeed made a lot of difference, thanks. The whole resize took a couple seconds instead of over twenty seconds. Even tho resizing single elements is still a bit laggy, it's noticably better this way.

I usually have all panels minimized and didn't realize hiding them with TAB would make any difference. I remember having enormous performance problems with links panel in CS4, but it was only when it was opened. After this I have kept all minimized when ever I don't need them.

Grant, I was also thinking the new layer system might be the one to blame this time, but didn't find a way to make any difference with minimizing or closing it.

I understand that some upgrades need more horsepower, but I have some of the best performing macs that one can get. I had to get a new Mac Pro to be able to run InDesign CS4 and was hoping it copes with CS5.5 too. No other software has any problems running on any of my machines and I stress Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign as well as some other pro software quite a lot. I think with most other software it's been the otherway round, they've gotten better with upgrades.

• 13. Re: InDesign 7.5.1, slow resize - different than redraw
                                  rlaine Level 1

Wanted to come by again and say big big thanks to Mr. Hawkinson for figuring out hiding panels. After working with this knowledge for a day now, it makes a lot of difference and I really mean A LOT in my workflow.

• 14. Re: InDesign 7.5.1, slow resize - different than redraw
                                    John Hawkinson Level 5

Thanks, though I don't deserve the credit. It goes to the people behind the vague words "was able to generate some interest."

• 15. Re: InDesign 7.5.1, slow resize - different than redraw
                                      rlaine Level 1

Well, the messenger deserves thanks too.

I really hope they will fix this tho. I do lot of resizing with shortcutted scripts where panels are not needed, but this is not always the case.