7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2011 9:35 AM by James Lutey

I am a new user to Premiere Elements 9.

James Lutey

When I try to preview a video clip, it plays the audio, but not the video (or the video advances for a split second and then stops.)  Any advice?  Thanks,  Jim

• 1. Re: I am a new user to Premiere Elements 9.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder did your video come from and how did you get it into your computer?

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select?

How fast is your computer's processor and what operating system are your running?

• 2. Re: I am a new user to Premiere Elements 9.
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with the answers to Steve's qustions, here is a list of some very useful PrE Resources, that should prove very helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: I am a new user to Premiere Elements 9.
              James Lutey Level 1

Thanks.  I will check out the Pre Resources.

Jim

• 4. Re: I am a new user to Premiere Elements 9.
                James Lutey Level 1

Steve, 

The video recorder is an Insignia - like a flip camera.  I imported the video clips using the Adove Premiere Elements 9.  I did not select any special project settings, just relied on the default settings.  I have Windows 7; not sure how fast the processor is.  Could it be that it is not adequate?  I have lots of storage left on the computer.

Thanks for any help,

Jim

• 5. Re: I am a new user to Premiere Elements 9.
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you are using a Windows computer, right-click on My Computer and select Properties. This will tell how how fast your processor is, which version of Windows you're using and how much RAM you have.

Unfortunately, the Insignia is like a Flip camcorder -- but not the same as a Flip camcorder.

Flip video uses a codec that is supported by Premiere Elements. The Insignia may or may not. Many of these pocket camcorders use special codecs to compress their video, and these codecs can only be read by the software that's included with the camcorder.

According to the online specs, this cam shoots in 1280x720 video. Try starting a new project and, on the set-up screen, selecting Settings and AVCHD Lite 1280x720. Part 1 of my free 8-part Basic Training tutorials will demonstrate how to do this.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685

If you've selected the perfect settings, you won't see a red line above the clips on your timeline until you add effects to them. However, with video from this camcorder, this may not be possible. So try rendering the timeline (press Enter). The red line will turn green and your video should play more smoothly.

Experiment and even output a DVD before you get too deeply into a project. With this camcorder, the program may or may not work. So be sure you get all of the bugs out before you commit hours into a project that simply may not go.

• 6. Re: I am a new user to Premiere Elements 9.
                    James Lutey Level 1

Steve,

Thanks much.  I will do as you say and see if that helps.  I appreciate your help.

Jim

• 7. Re: I am a new user to Premiere Elements 9.
                      James Lutey Level 1

Hi Steve,

I have Windows 7 with Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU  T4200@2.00 GHz.  Memory (RAM) is 3.00 GB (2.87 GB usable).  32-bit operating system.

I deleted the original video files from Adobe Premiere Elements 9 and selected the settings you suggested and uploaded the video files again.  I still could not preview the video - only the audio.

I have 5 video clips that I edited and saved.  But when I exported the files to my computer, it was just the raw video (unedited) and each of the 5 clips were separate video files.  Can you tell me why it didn't apparently save my edits and why each clip was a separate file?  I want all 5 clips to be part of the same video.  One edit for example was a title I put on the first clip and also on the last clip.  When exported to my computer, none of the editing including the text was there.

Thanks,

Jim