11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2011 12:16 AM by VDOSurfer

File size extremely high for .avi after render PE 9

Mid Century Modern

I'm very new to PE and have tried to learn quick to redact info (faces etc) in .avi files for a government agency. I was able to open the file (in the trial version) and make the track matte by dragging the original file to the timeline then dragging it again to the video 2 timeline for the top layer, Question 1) is this the same as copy and paste or am I doubling the size already? Anyway, I was able to get the matte and everything done. Now, to Render and save... I choose computer/avi again (I need to keep it the same) and it took 1 hr 45 min to render it, that seemed long to me but maybe not... but mainly the file size was then 100,883 kb! Starting with a 29.7 kb file. This is what my question is about....could this be right? I can't use it if this is what I get. So, here are the particulars as I got G-spot and looked it up, as per serveral suggestions I saw here. I'm trying to understand the CODEC info but I fear I have a ways to go before I can figure out what I did wrong. (This is my test computer, the future work would be done on a newer, better computer).  The videos I would be working with come from various sources and will vary in length but will probably all be a kind of avi.

Intel Pentium processor 1600 mhz

221 mhz, 2.00 gb ram

Microsoft windows xp sp3

video:

length: 0:27.261

frms:  817

Kbps: 28770

pic:  720x480

codec: dvsd dvc/dy

I appreciate any help you can give

• 1. Re: File size extremely high for .avi after render PE 9
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Without knowing the codecs of the AVIs you're using, it's hard to give you specifics, Mid.

But if the AVIs you're outputting from Premiere Elements are DV-AVIs, they should run about 500 megs per minute of running time -- about 13 gigs per hour. That's the codec you WANT to use, by the way, as part of a video editing workflow.

Other AVI codecs can make for much smaller files -- which is good for moving, storing and delivering the video, but not such a good idea if you plan to edit it.

• 2. Re: File size extremely high for .avi after render PE 9
            the_wine_snob Level 9

For the use of Track Matte Keying, with say a Gaussian Blur, or maybe Moasic Effect, if you have not altered the In & Out Points, then just dragging the Asset to both Video 1 and Video 2 will work fine. If you HAVE adjusted the In & Out Points, you can just click-drag from the Source Monitor, where you set those In & Out Points, and all is good. The Copy/Paste is just another way to do it.

As you are doing an "overlay," the output File Size will not be affected in any way. You are also limiting the Blur, or Effect on Video 2 to just the area "exposed" by the Track Matte, so the pixel count will not be altered.

As Steve points out, the output CODEC in the AVI will determine the output File Size. File Size is basically determined by the Timeline's Duration and by the Bit-Rate of the output file. With DV-AVI, that Bit-Rate is pretty well set, and your Timeline determines the Duration. At ~ 13GB/hour, a DV-AVI will be pretty large, but that is the nature of the beast. Also, and as Steve points out, if you are going to do additional editing, and will be Importing that file into a New Project, DV-AVI is about as good, as it gets.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: File size extremely high for .avi after render PE 9
              Mid Century Modern Level 1

Thanks for you response and the information was very helpful. I was able to choose and output that gave me a good file size and I do want DV-AVI (I don't remember what I chose but it worked) but, I don't see an option for DV-AVI - is that a general DV output selection, because there seem to be numerous (AVCHD, NTSC, DV STANDARD) acronyms (I have tried to understand what each is) which do I want?

To: Mid Century Modern <sebastian577@yahoo.com>

Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:07 PM

Subject: File size extremely high for .avi after render PE 9

Re: File size extremely high for .avi after render PE 9 created by Bill Hunt in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

For the use of Track Matte Keying, with say a Gaussian Blur, or maybe Moasic Effect, if you have not altered the In & Out Points, then just dragging the Asset to both Video 1 and Video 2 will work fine. If you HAVE adjusted the In & Out Points, you can just click-drag from the Source Monitor, where you set those In & Out Points, and all is good. The Copy/Paste is just another way to do it.

As you are doing an "overlay," the output File Size will not be affected in any way. You are also limiting the Blur, or Effect on Video 2 to just the area "exposed" by the Track Matte, so the pixel count will not be altered.

As Steve points out, the output CODEC in the AVI will determine the output File Size. File Size is basically determined by the Timeline's Duration and by the Bit-Rate of the output file. With DV-AVI, that Bit-Rate is pretty well set, and your Timeline determines the Duration. At ~ 13GB/hour, a DV-AVI will be pretty large, but that is the nature of the beast. Also, and as Steve points out, if you are going to do additional editing, and will be Importing that file into a New Project, DV-AVI is about as good, as it gets.

Good luck,

Hunt

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3943683#3943683

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/3943683#3943683. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 4. Re: File size extremely high for .avi after render PE 9
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I have a chart in my books that explains the different Share options and file formats and what they all mean.

For video editing, the standard format is the AVI video using the DV codec (DV-AVI). For high-def video, it is a 1440x1080 or 1920x1080 MPEG (M2T). Most hard drive based hi-def camcorders shoot in AVCHD, a special format of MPEG/M2T.

But you can share your videos in any number of formats. Most of these "delivery formats" are designed to create the smallest but highest quality file available. They include Dvix, Xvid, mp4, etc.

• 5. Re: File size extremely high for .avi after render PE 9

thanks again for your reply....it sounds like I really need your book

• 6. Re: File size extremely high for .avi after render PE 9
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Even "old-timers" benefit greatly from Steve's books. I cannot reccommend them too highly.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 7. Re: File size extremely high for .avi after render PE 9

Hi, I'm hoping you can maybe answer another question for me. I have moved to PE 10 trial but I can't check it out because I get an application error before I can begin a project or open a file. I've reinstalled it twice with the same problem. The error message is:

Monitor: Adobe Premiere Elements.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x10add0a3" referenced memory at "0x00000000".  The memory could not be "read".

Even if I click "debug" it just closes the program and nothing.  Can you possibly give me a clue?

Sent: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 4:13 PM

Re: File size extremely high for .avi after render PE 9 created by Bill Hunt in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

Even "old-timers" benefit greatly from Steve's books. I cannot reccommend them too highly.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3953825#3953825

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/3953825#3953825. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 8. Re: File size extremely high for .avi after render PE 9
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Itappears that there is a memory address issue. It could be with the installation of PrE, but my first guess would that you have some program, or process, that is either not accurately reporting its memory addresses to the OS, or is telling the OS that it has released some addresses, when it has not. This could be a driver, or other program, and probably loads at bootup.

Take a look at this ARTICLE on finding clues via the Event Viewer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: File size extremely high for .avi after render PE 9

Thanks for the info, I will check out the Event Viewer, I think it must be with PrE because it only happens with this application.

Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 3:11 PM

Itappears that there is a memory address issue. It could be with the installation of PrE, but my first guess would that you have some program, or process, that is either not accurately reporting its memory addresses to the OS, or is telling the OS that it has released some addresses, when it has not. This could be a driver, or other program, and probably loads at bootup.

Take a look at this ARTICLE on finding clues via the Event Viewer.

Good luck,

Hunt

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3965679#3965679

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/3965679#3965679. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 10. Re: File size extremely high for .avi after render PE 9
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I think it must be with PrE because it only happens with this application.

It could be, and I am not ruling that out, but it could also be that PrE is accessing more memory addresses, than some other programs, so they never run into a bad address. It could also be that there is a conflicting driver, that other programs do not need to access. Event Viewer should give you some clues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: File size extremely high for .avi after render PE 9
                              VDOSurfer Level 3

I don't think Adobe software look at the system spec before installation, but if they would, I think you will not be allowed to install it on this machine. You mentioned that your system specs are Intel Pentium processor 1600 mhz.. This is lower than what Adobe says is the system requirements. A single core machine and PrE10 will not be a good combination at all... Try it with a faster PC and note the time it takes to export/share to AVI. It will be multiple times faster..

Could you defrag the HDD, restart the machine and then try installing the app? That should free up some contiguous space in both the RAM and the HDD..