5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2011 5:44 AM by BobLevine

Newbie here... Where do I begin???

AKMusicProductions

Hi...

What would be the easiest way to start and learn how to design a CD cover? Can someone refer me to a tutorial (I couldn't find one by typing in "cd design") or is there a built in template in InDesign?

• 1. Re: Newbie here... Where do I begin???
          Daniel Flavin Level 4

A CD Cover is typically, 4.75 in x 4.75 in.

If you are thinking two sided, set it up as a 2 page document, if it is going to be a folded piece, set up a 4 page facing pages document.

The jewel case insert looks to be 4.625 x 5.4375 + .25 + .25, 5.9375.

If you are thinking of having them produced by one of the many whosalers of these, their webpage would typically have a template which should be used. If they are being produced locally, confirm these dimensions with the facility.

Create a new document with the listed page size; you probably want to include .125 in bleed.

You're almost in over your head, you will be advised to purchase a copy of Sandee Cohen's book "A Visual QuickStart Guide to InDesign".

Message was edited by: Daniel Flavin - jewel card /tray card insert height corrected

• 2. Re: Newbie here... Where do I begin???
            markerline Level 4

Since CD and DVD cover graphics are usually very creative in nature and require more creative tools than InDesign provides, I would also suggest learning Illustrator and Photoshop to jazz up your imagery and text.

• 3. Re: Newbie here... Where do I begin???
              AKMusicProductions Level 1

Thanks guys. I usually do use DiscMakers for my own CD's but the person I was doing this for wanted to use a local duplicator due to time constraints, so I read at this CD manufacturer's website that their templates support InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Quark. I downloaded a trial version of what I thought would be the better program for this type of work (InDesign), also hoping I would be able to figure it out quickly but... no way!

I've already completed the project using my little, free software downloaded from Avery using their CD templates. Worked out nicely and got the job done in 5 hours much to the delight of the client/friend!

Again... thanks for the responses. -- AK

• 4. Re: Newbie here... Where do I begin???
                Derek Cross Level 6

Lynda.com have a tutorial specifically for producing artwork for CDs.

This is their course description:

Designing a CD Cover Hands-on Workshop with author Nigel French shows how to design a CD package using a combination of Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Bridge, and Acrobat. This course looks at the range of CD package formats available, surveys some of the most successful CD and record covers of all time, and provides hands-on practical information for how to set up the project, and ultimately, how to get it printed. Exercise files are included with the course.

http://www.lynda.com/Illustrator-CS4-tutorials/designing-a-cd-cover-hands-on-workshop/5385 5-2.html

I have no connection with the organisation mentioned.

Derek

• 5. Re: Newbie here... Where do I begin???
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

+1 on Lynda.com

This link will get you a free one day trial: http://bit.ly/fcGpiI

You might also want to consider Sandee Cohen’s Visual Quick Start Guide, the best beginner book on the market: http://amzn.to/nK39TK

Bob