7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2011 9:50 AM by pebalsamo

New Computer Help

pebalsamo Level 2

So we are going to get rid of our 3 year old computer running Creative Suite CS4 and update to a new system.  I have built a system on ADK's site and wanted to get some opinions.  I do not want to order parts and build one myself, and I have heard (and read) lots of good things about ADK.  Below is what I have put together so far and I am looking for any suggestions from those of you that are much more knowledgeable than I (Which is most of you).

We are a small Video Production that does a lot of Event and Corporate videography.  For right now, all of our HD footage is AVCHD.

One thing that has me slightly confused is for the "Work Drive" it says "raid 0,5,6,10" and I am thinking that I want Raid 5, but do not understand why all the different configurations are there, unless they are just saying that is the options you have with the 4 seperate drives.

Case   ADK - ADK Tower: (8) 3.5" bays 6 are removable, (4) 5.25 Bays Firewire/USB2 in fr   
      Power Supply   Cooler Master - Silent Pro M 1000w Tri Sli, 5 yr warranty.   
      Motherboard    Corei7: 24GB/DDR3 1600, 2x PCI, 2 x PCIE x16, 2 PCIE, firewire, 6 Sata, 7.1 
      Processor    Intel - Core i7 980 3.33Ghz 6 core with HT 12meg cache 
      Processor     None 
      CPU Cooling    ADK - ADK Extreme silence CPU cooling. 17DB (sorry no pics) 
      Case Cooling     ADK - ADK Quiet Case fans (2) 8DB Noctua 
      Memory    SuperTalent - 24gig (6x4GB) DDR3 1600 1.65v 9-9-9-24 Samsung Chips, Lifetime warranty 
      OS/Programs Drive    SEAGATE - 500G 16Meg Sata 600 2 yr warranty ST3500413AS 
      Capture/work Drive     Western Digital - 8000G raid 0,5,6,10 (4x 2 TB RE4 WD2003FYYS) 
      Render to Drive    None 
      Hard Drive 4     None 
      Hard Drive 5    None 
      External Storage    none 
      Controller    None 
      Dual/Quad Head Video    GeForce GTX570 1280MB: 1280MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 HDMI - DisplayPort - DV 
      Capture Device     Matrox - MXO2 Mini: Capture and playback high definition video via HDMI and analog c 
      DVD-RW    LG Electronics -  Blu-ray disc rewriter. BD-R 10X with lightscribe. 
      Pro Audio    None 
      NIC    Included wired not wireless 
      Modem     None 
      Operating System      Microsoft - Windows 7 Pro 64 bit OEM    
      Software    Paragon Backup & Recovery 10 Suite with ADK recovery DVD. 
      NLE Software     Adobe - Production Premium CS5.5 Windows/Mac Upgrade from CS4: 
      Other Software     NONE 
      Monitor    none 
      Keyboards    Bella - EZ-Keyboard Professional Series III with Jog shuttle. for Premiere, Final C 
      Speakers    None 
      Warranty   2 year parts and labor, onsite pickup, Lifetime tech support. 
      Video Editing Workstation
      ADK 3800 Core I7
          Price: $5,164.00

Thank you for your time and comments.

Phil

• 1. Re: New Computer Help
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Raid 0, 5, 6, 10 means that you have the option to choose a raid format.

If you give Eric a call, he can explain all the options you have.

• 2. Re: New Computer Help
            pebalsamo Level 2

Thanks Harm,

From reading some of your other posts and guides do you think that RAID 5 would be the way to go there, vs 4 seperate drives?

Lets assume that I go with RAID 5 does the overall config of the PC look decent?  There are SO MANY options there, that I was trying to balance money and power.  I guess pretty much like everyone else.

Thanks

Phil

• 3. Re: New Computer Help
              Scott Chichelli Level 3

HI Phil,

Give Eric a call, (more about the matrox if needed or not) but whilst i am here.

if you are going to do a raid 5/6 you really need a dedicated Raid card. as we refuse to do raid 5 with onboard raid.

(trust me you dont want that)

the drive config should look like this anyway

OS/Programs(single drive)

then 2 sets raid array (or 1 large one (8 drive))

Media drive array

Export drive array

thanks

Scott

• 4. Re: New Computer Help
                pebalsamo Level 2

Thanks for the reply Scott.  So you really think I need 8 drives?

FYI - our computer right now just has two drives.  One for OS and Programs and the other (1.5TB) for everything in Premiere (Project files/Media/Export).  Obviously I know this is not a good setup but it has worked for the past 3 years or so. 

I will give Eric a call either today or next week and talk to him about our needs and wants.  Do I just call the sales number that is on the site (Eric Bowen 859-635-5762).  I assume that is the Eric you are talking about.

Thanks again for the help.  I am getting a headache trying to put something together.

Phil

• 5. Re: New Computer Help
                  Scott Chichelli Level 3

HI Phil,

no i dont think you need 8 drives at all (most dont)

most the systems we ship for AVCHD and similar codecs look like this

OS

Media Drive (2 drive raid 0)

Export Drive (2 drive raid 0)

then use a back up plan to an external drive(s), NAS etc.

IF you wanted raid 5 for redundacy you can add 2 more drives, 1 each to the raid arrays but you need a dedicated raid controller to do this and we still recommend

backing up to an external source.

yes thats the right # to talk with Eric or I, Eric preferably as you picked a Matrox that you may or may not need.

thanks

scott

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: New Computer Help
                    pebalsamo Level 2

Awesome Scott, thanks!

If I can get this wedding done that I am working on, I will give you a call today.

Thanks

Phil

• 7. Re: New Computer Help
                      pebalsamo Level 2

Thanks for chatting with me Scott...  It was a pleasure talking to Eric too!  Going to pass your quote on and go from there...

Thanks

Phil