8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2011 4:31 AM by MaineHomes

Narration Won't Start

Paul Ciotti2

I'm trying to narrate a clip. But when the narration window pops up the button with which one starts recording is grayed out. I can't click on it. I also can't click on the mike button which allows me to select mikes. I have a headset mike. It works in other programs but Premiere Elements 9 is defeating (and discouraging) me.

• 1. Re: Narration Won't Start
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

What is the connection type of that headset mic? PrE (and also PrPro) has issues with many USB mics.

Does that mic work well in the free audio-editing program, Audacity? If so, I would record in Audacity, Save As PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, and then Import that WAV file into PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Narration Won't Start
            Paul Ciotti2 Level 1

Thanks Bill. I'd be surprised if it was the mike, which is part of my headset. The mike works fine in other programs, such as windows voice dictation. I don't know what the right name for the headset connections is but there are two of them (one for the headset and one for the mike boom). They plug into little round connector holes on the front of my computer about an eighth of an inch in diameter.

A friend advised me to try what you suggested--record in another program, such as Audacity, than then just import it as a wave file. My friend said to record it on my video camera and import it. I've done that in the past for some simple projects and it works fine. But I expect on a major project like the one I'm working on, I'll be recording and re-recording various sections half a dozen times each to get the sound working with the video clips the way I want to.

Back in the olden days before I moved up to Premiere Elements 9 from Windows Movie Maker, I was able to narrate my clips right in the edito program. I'd hate to go back to Windows Movie Maker to edit videos at this point.

Does the record voice narration menu box work okay for you? Nothing grayed out so it  can't be selected?

best wishes

Paul

• 3. Re: Narration Won't Start
              MaineHomes

This is also a problem for me.  I recently upgraded to PE 9.  Previously I used PE4 and had not problem addting narration.  Using PE 9 the narration box come us grayed out (using same mic).  I went to hardware settings and the default device is "Premiere elements WDM".  There is no other choice.  The ASIO Settings is "SoundMax HD Audio", which is the same as previous, since I am using the same computer.  And the same mics.

There must be something that needs to be checked some where or another.  Any ideas

• 4. Re: Narration Won't Start
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Why not start your own thread? This one is over 6 months old.

Meantime, have you clicked on the microphone icon in the upper right of the Narration panel and ensured it is set correctly?

I'm not sure what you mean by "the narration box come us grayed out."

• 5. Re: Narration Won't Start
                  Paul Ciotti2 Level 1

A friend of mine helped me solve the problem. Now everything works fine. What you have to do is download a driver. The one I'm using now is ASIO4ALL v2. If you type that name into Google search it will be the first thing that pops up. It is described as a Universal ASIO driver.

Once you've downloaded it, go to EDIT, PREFERENCES, AUDIO, AUDIO HARDWARE, DEFAULT DEVICE and it will now be one of your choices. Select it rather than Premiere Elements WDM.

After I did that I had no more problems. Nothing was grayed out anymore.

• 6. Re: Narration Won't Start
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Great news, Paul!

• 7. Re: Narration Won't Start
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Good news. ASIO4All has helped many, with regular auido gear, and those with some esoteric, pro audio gear.

I use it for my DD 5.1 SS card.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Narration Won't Start
                        MaineHomes Level 1

Thanks for the help with this problem.  Downloaded ASIO4ALL v2 and I can now record!