5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2011 7:47 AM by Peter Spier

Output from Datamerge

Thunder_man1234 Level 1

I use InDesign data merge to output a large file that has small fonts. The output is automatically done as a PDF.

Is there a way to change output file type and also maximize the DPI settings to maintain the quality of the file?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Output from Datamerge
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can output to a .indd file rather than PDF. That will give you all the options you would have for any .indd file.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Output from Datamerge
            Thunder_man1234 Level 1

Hi Peter,

How do I set the preferences for the output. My ideal output is .tiff with as high a DPI as possible. Suggestions welcome!!

Thanks,

Pat

• 3. Re: Output from Datamerge

ID does not export tiff directly. Most of us prefer to output high quality PDF, then convert that in Photoshop when we need a fully raster format. ID can export jpeg, but the results are generally poor compared to waht you can do by converting the PDF in Photoshop.

I've never done a data merge direct to PDF, but I suspect you have the same are options available there (as far as settings for downsampling and compression) as when exporting a regular document. There is ALWAYS a tradeoff between file size and quality of images in a PDF. You might want to try zip compression instead of jpeg, and you can set the downsample threshold as high as you like, or to none.

Since you haven't told us what you are doing with the files it is pretty hard to make specific recommendations, but I find "My ideal output is .tiff with as high a DPI as possible" to be worrisome. You mentioned small fonts, and frankly type, particularly small type, should not get rasterized if you want it to look good in print. Is there a praticular reason that the PDF itself is not an acceptable format?

• 4. Re: Output from Datamerge
                Thunder_man1234 Level 1

Hi Peter,

Is there a way to send you a private message as the details of what I am doing are confidential and I don't want it posted on the fourm.

Thanks,

Pat

• 5. Re: Output from Datamerge

Sure. Click my name and go to my profile. Send a private message is inthe actions list on the right.