15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2011 4:56 AM by Steve Grisetti

Adobe Premiere Elements 9

Alix v

I am a new user. I have a problem.  How to transcode mts files into mp4 files? Do I have to transcode them? Or live them in mts files?

I use to work with Adobe Premiere 2.0. It takes me couple seconds to open the programm. But now I am using A. P. E. 9. It takes me about 2 minutes to open this programm. Why it so long? Is this normal?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Like you, I find that PrE is much slower to open, initially, than PrPro 2.0 is. Not sure exactly why, but it has been that way, from PrE 4.0.

As for an MPEG to another flavor of MPEG, in PrE, you WILL be transcoding. Some NLE programs do offer "smart rendering" but ONLY if you have just Trimmed the files, and have done NO Effects, overlays, or similar. If you have, then even the programs with smart rendering will need to transcode too.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

For what it's this, this issue was addressed in Premiere Elements 10. The program now opens and loads project files very quickly!

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9
              Alix v Level 1

Thank you. Your answer is very helpful to me. How can I transcode them from .mts files to .mp4? Is my A.P.E. 9 do transcoding or I have to have special programm? I can't find answer in the instruction book that came with the programm.

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                Alix v Level 1

Thank you for your answer. Is there any way I can update A.P.E.9 to A.P.E.10 or do I have to buy whole new programm?

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9

There are several options for outputting an MP4 of your Premiere Elements movie, Alix.

Where do you plan to display this movie? There are MP4 settings optimized for online, for portable devices, for iPads and iPods, etc. There is no one one-size-fits-all MP4.

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                    Alix v Level 1

Thank you Steve for your kind answers. I want to make DVD. I am working with .MTS files and it's hard to work in A.P.E.9.

• 7. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9

What type of camcorder are these MTS files coming from? Is it an AVCHD 1440x1080 or AVCHD 1920x1080 camcorder? And does your camcorder record in stereo or 5.1 audio?

It's very important that, when you start your Premiere Elements project, you select project settings that match your video specs. If you do that, you should find the program works much more efficiently with those MTS files.

If you do that, you should be able to output a DVD by using Share/To Disc.

• 8. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                        Alix v Level 1

Thank you, your answer is really helpful.

I am using Panasonic AG-HMC40P.

I think it’s an AVCHD 1080/60i camcorder.

My camcorder  has 2 ch. and 5.1.audio.

Yes I can share my DVD on disk but it really hard to work on sceneline. I can hear audio really good but video is dragging. Indicator is not moving smoothly but it jumps. Especially when I use 2 video tracks. And it’s hard to do transitions. There is no way that I can do good job with the videos. I think because they are in .MTS files. Could you give me better advice?

Thank you.

• 9. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9

That Panasonic is a $2000+ professional-style camcorder. Are tyou sure you want to try to edit its video on a $75 consumer program? You would get much better results editing your video in Premiere CS5.

That said, you may be able to work with the video in Premiere Elements if you shoot in 1920x1080 60i (NOT 60p or 24p).

Set up your Premiere Elements project for Full AVCHD 1920x1080. (Since your camcorder shoots in both 5.1 audio and stereo, you will also need to set up yoru project to match the audio format of your video.) Then use Get Media/From Hard Disk Camcorder to download the video from the camcorder to your computer and project.

If you do that -- assuming you've got a good quad core or i7 processor -- you should be able to edit your video.

When you use Share/To Disc to create your DVD, remember that your DVD will be in standard resolution, not hi-def. So your picture will not be nearly as sharp as your original footage.

EDIT:

Did you say you're using Premiere Elements 2??!!! That program isn't nearly sophisticated enough to edit AVCHD footage.

At the very least, you'll need to upgrade to Premiere Elements 10. Although, as I've said, you'll do much better to upgrade to Premiere CS4 professional.

• 10. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                            Alix v Level 1

Steve Grisetti,

Thank you very much. This post answered a lot of my questions.

Every e-mail that I got from you is very helpful.

I will try to use your advice and see what Adobe will do it for me.

What is the program you would recommend for me?

Alex

• 11. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9

I would recommend Premiere Elements 10 (shooting with the video specs we discussed above) and a copy of my book, of course.

• 12. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                                Alix v Level 1

Thank you, Steve.

What is the best: upgrade or install new A.P.E.10?

Looks like your book is very helpful.

Thank you.

Alex

• 13. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9

Whether you upgrade or install the program from scratch, you get the same product, Alix. You get the complete program.

So there is no difference between buying the upgrade or buying the complete program. The "upgrade" is just a price advantage offered to current users.

• 14. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                                    Alix v Level 1

Thank you, Steve.

Is your book available for A.P.E.10?

I would like to get that book.

Alex

• 15. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9

Naturally, Alix!

http://Muvipix.com/pe10.php

Thanks for supporting the books!