7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2011 4:31 AM by VDOSurfer

PE9 - resizing photos - poor quality on slideshow

Rach1606

Hi.  I am in desparate need of help!

I am making a DVD from video and digital photographs and am having an issue with photo quality in end result.  The still pics are digital images from a professional photographers camera so are super sharp and clear.  I was resizing them in batches as there are quite a few (as I have done in the past) and once they are put into the project and burnt to disc (as I have just run a couple of test discs) they are pixelated and blurry.  

I have previously used PE4 and don't remember this being a problem.  I am not sure if I am doing something wrong in my resizing ie wrong size or file type but I am finding it really frustrating as they are beautiful pictures but come up fuzzy on an LCD TV.  I have older scanned pics in the project as well and I am happy with their clarity for the age etc.

Is it a setting issue on my project?  I am also using video footage from a Canon HD Legria camera.  The clarity is not great on the TV either but I can live with that.  Is there an Output setting that I am missing?  I am running tests before I go importing all of the digital images so any input would be greatly appreciated.

I noticed a couple of discussions on here and also on Muvipix previously but I can't seem to find an answer to  my problem.

Thanks & Regards,

Rachel

• 1. Re: PE9 - resizing photos - poor quality on slideshow
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Rachel,

Can you tell us about both your Project setting, and how you are doing the Scaling?

Remember, if you are going to DVD, the resolution is far below that of HD, so there WILL be a difference.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE9 - resizing photos - poor quality on slideshow
            Rach1606 Level 1

Hi Bill.

Thanks for your prompt response. 

My PE9 project settings were PAL - AVCHD/HD 1080i25??

I had captured my video files via USB from my Canon camera which stored them on the hard drive as MTS files.  Should I have used the Hard Disk HD option instead as project setting?? 

Also, I just ran 3 downsized pics that were coming up blurry on my PE9 project through PE4 and the quality is far superior.  I would gladly go back and use PE4 for this project but I can't capture direct from my Canon video camera via USB to PE4 so I am trying to work out a way around it.  Can I transport the MTS files from my current PE9 project back to PE4 (as there are several already in the timeline on PE9)??  If so, would I have to convert the files to AVI or something similar?  Seems like alot of mucking around and I had hoped that by upgrading to PE9 that it would be a more capable program anyway.

Hopefully I have a simple setting wrong because it looks lilke the resizing of the pics is not the problem as they are great in PE4.

Any ideas as I am going around in circles now I think?

Thanks, Rachel

• 3. Re: PE9 - resizing photos - poor quality on slideshow
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Since you are using a mix of hi-def video and photos, you'll need to ensure that your photos are hi-def to fit into your project:

1) Go to Edit/Preferences/General and uncheck the option to Scale Stills to Frame Size. (You must do this BEFORE you add your photos to your project.)

2) Ensure that all of your photos are 1440x1080 pixels in size. Import them into your project.

3) Place your photos on your timeline. (For best results, as I say in my books, right-click on each photo and select Field Options/Apply Flicker Removal.)

4) Render your project (press Enter). The red lines above the clips on your timeline will turn green and you will be able to see your slideshow at full playbacfk quality.

If you are using pans and zooms around your photos -- or if you want them to stretch the entire width of your video frame and bleed off the top and bottom -- you can use photos as large as 2000x1500 pixels in size.

And don't forget to right-click on the video on the Monitor and select Full Quality Preview!

• 4. Re: PE9 - resizing photos - poor quality on slideshow
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Rachel,

It is much better, both from a quality and also a computer resource perspective, to do all Scaling in PS, or PSE. This ARTICLE will be helpful. Note: it was written, when SD (720 x 480) was the common format, so with HD Project and Video, you will Scale to match the Project Preset, say 1440 x 1080.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: PE9 - resizing photos - poor quality on slideshow
                  Rach1606 Level 1

Thanks for your suggestions.  I will try those things and let you know how I get on.

Am I correct with my project settings as above?  Or should I be using the Hard Disk HD setting instead? 

Also, Steve your last comment about right clicking on the video on the monitor and selecting Full Quality Preview - is that just for previewing on the computer?? and where specificially is this button? Had a quick look and couldn't locate it.

Thanks,

Rachel

• 6. Re: PE9 - resizing photos - poor quality on slideshow
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you are working with video from a camcorder in addition to your slides, your project specs should (MUST!) match the specs of the camcorder's video.

If your Canon Legria is shoting in 1440x1080 PAL, that's what you need to set your project up as.

And make sure you click on the VIDEO AREA of the Monitor to set the quality level of the playback. (You can also set it using the flyout menu -- the >> menu that will appear in the upper right corner of the panel when you go to Window/Show Docking Headers, as I recommend in my books http://Muvipix.com/pe9.php.)

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: PE9 - resizing photos - poor quality on slideshow
                      VDOSurfer Level 3

Just to combine what everyone has suggested,  resize the image to the same resolution as the clips. And then import it to the project to get the best results. Keeping the playback quality as highest is only for the playback while you are working with the project and does not indicate how it will be when you export it (DVD/Blu-ray/File). Exported files are usually of the highest quality.