Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hyperlinks in Foreign Character Sets work in Webhelp but not in CHM

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2011 Sep 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I am hoping that someone can help me with a foreign character encoding puzzle please.

I am working with the following setup:

-Version RoboHTML 9.01

-Win XP and Win 7 64-bit

-Creating Webhelp and CHM RoboHelp using Linked Word files

- All source Word files use MS Arial Unicode font in their paragraph, character and Heading styles.

- These fonts are then transformed to their utf-8 equivalents

- Master Page has appropriate language applied

- Windows has been rebooted into appropriate locale

I have created the topic body hyperlinks manually using dragand drop in the RoboHelp v9 interface

When I produce Webhelp with this setup and change the Project Settings and Webhelp SSL output wizard to the appropriate languages I get topic hyperlinks and breadcrumb links in the topic headings working fine.

When I produce the CHM file, something happens at compilation time that mangles all the hyperlinks in the body text and headers.

This produces the following HTML code for hyperlinks that unsurprisingly will not render when viewed in the CHM:

<a href="&Iuml;&icirc;&egrave;&ntilde;&ecirc;_&acirc;_&agrave;&auml;&eth;&aring;&ntilde;&iacute;&icirc;&eacute;_&ecirc;&iacute;&egrave;&atilde;&aring;.htm">

Is this a problem that can be worked around in some way please?

I have several foreign language versions of the same document that I'm tyring to localize in the same project and would rather not have to use separate projects for each language.

I would really appreciate any direct help or reference to the appropriate materials if they already exist.

Many thanks,

doma27

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dominic.

As this is only affecting CHM files, I wonder whether there is something amiss with the Microsoft HTML Help compiler that forms part of RoboHelp. Try downloading and running MJ Plasterers HTML Help Diagnostics tool. You can find it here.

If this doesn't highlight anything amiss, can you tell us what lacalised languages are being used. Maybe some of them are not supported in CHMs? It is just a hunch as the compiler is quite old.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2011 Sep 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum

Thanks for the suggestion,

I've downloaded and run MS Plasterers Diags tool and run it on the 64-bit Win 7 machine to find the following somewhat contradictory information. These files are listed as unregistered, but then reported as "Found and REgistered OK":

The languages that are causing me problems with linking in the CHM though not in the WebHelp and Printed output with this current setup are Turkish, Russian, Polish, Chinese.

The languages that do not cause problems are Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, French, Dutch

HTML Help Run-time Components

File Register ** Failed **: C:\Windows\system32\hhctrl.ocx (Version: 6.1.7600.16385)
File Register ** Failed **: C:\Windows\system32\itss.dll (Version: 6.1.7600.16385)
File Register ** Failed **: C:\Windows\system32\itircl.dll (Version: 6.1.7601.17514)

File Found: C:\Windows\system32\hhctrl.ocx
         Version = 6.1.7600.16385
         Registry Info: {adb880a6-d8ff-11cf-9377-00aa003b7a11}
           ClassName = HHCtrl Object
           InProcServer32 = C:\Windows\System32\hhctrl.ocx
           ProgID = Internet.HHCtrl.1
         DLL is Found and Registered OK = YES

File Found: C:\Windows\system32\itss.dll
         Version = 6.1.7600.16385
         Registry Info: {5D02926A-212E-11D0-9DF9-00A0C922E6EC}
           ClassName = Microsoft InfoTech IStorage System
           InProcServer32 = C:\Windows\System32\itss.dll
           ProgID = MSITFS1.0

File Found: C:\Windows\system32\itircl.dll
         Version = 6.1.7601.17514
         Registry Info: {4662DAA5-D393-11D0-9A56-00C04FB68BF7}
           ClassName =
           InProcServer32 = C:\Windows\System32\itircl.dll
           ProgID = ITIR.WordWheelBuild.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This link is all a bit esoteric for me, but perhaps it will provide some ideas for you? (sounds like you're doing at least some of this already...)

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sandcastle/archive/2007/09/29/chm-localization-and-unicode-issues-dbcsfix-ex...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link Amebr.

Applocale tool is going to prove useful when testing this stuff if I can get it working.

Regards,

Dom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for the record folks, it is M J Plaster.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for putting me right Peter. I wouldn't want to offend MJ

Dominic. With regards to your issue, does the same happen when the CHM is run on different PCs? Maybe you can also try producing a CHM from a new project with just a few topics and see if the same happens.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp