6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2011 8:03 AM by Citizen 1982

Adobe Reader X problem with 10.1.1 MSP

HubbleTaz

I have previously downloaded Reader X.  Then when update 10.0.1 came out I was able to download the MSP and install it.

I have been ble to apply the 10.1.1 MSP to the original MSI for Reader X; however, it fails on installation.  It claims to be looking for armsvc.exe in the DATA1.CAB file.  This file does not exist in the original DATA1 nor the modified one and not even the DATA1 file from the 10.0.1 update.  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader X problem with 10.1.1 MSP
          LeoAdobeX Adobe Employee

You need to use Reader 10.1.0 as a target Reader for 10.1.1 Patch.

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader X problem with 10.1.1 MSP
            HubbleTaz Level 1

Even if I use Reader 10.1.0 as the target for the MSP after the patch is applied the MSI still fails with the same error.

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader X problem with 10.1.1 MSP
              LeoAdobeX Adobe Employee

Can you please clarify "after the patch is applied" part?

What patch? Applied to what? Installed Reader 10.1.0? AIP? Reader opened in Orca? Customised Reader installer package?

Can you please describe what you did step by step and at what point you got the error?

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader X problem with 10.1.1 MSP
                HubbleTaz Level 1

Applying the MSP to the Reader MSI using msiexec for a network install.

msiexec /a {path}\acroread.msi /p {path}update.msp

Then installation using the MSI.  The installation processes to a point and then stops and throws an error about not being able to find the file armsvc.exe on the DATA1/CAB file.

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader X problem with 10.1.1 MSP
                  LeoAdobeX Adobe Employee

Well, you are trying to use AIP.

Make sure that acroread.msi is GM 10.1.0

And make sure that you created AIP first with

msiexec /a {path}\acroread.msi

than you can execute

msiexec /a {path}\acroread.msi /p {path}10.1.1.msp

As a side note, maybe it will make sense in your case not to use AIP at all?

Adobe is coming up with cumulative updates in A10 and if you install from AIP, you will have to re-create AIP with future updates to push the out.

Alternatively, if you push full Reader 10.1.0 installer, than you can push updates without AIP hassle.

Good luck.

• 6. Re: Adobe Reader X problem with 10.1.1 MSP
                    Citizen 1982

OK, here is what I've learned from this process.  I'm doing administrative install points as well. 

The basic patching process is as follows: Base -> Quarterly -> Patch.

This means that you may need to apply up to 2 patches in sequential order to end up with the most recent version.  You would think that in 10.1.1 this would be the base/quarterly/patch numbers respectively, but Adobe has a history of not following their own naming conventions (that they even define in the administrative guide for Reader)

To find out what is what, you need this table: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/888/cpsid_88814.html

10.1.1 is listed as a quarterly release, which means it needs to be applied directly to the base 10.0 install.

Trying to patch 10.1.1 onto an existing 10.1 will fail as they are both quarterly.

Creating a 10.0.2 installer is 10.0 (base) > 10.0.1 (quarterly) -> 10.0.2 (patch)

It's pretty much a guessing game without that table though.  This blew my mind for a few days when I first ran into it.