8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2011 12:48 AM by John Hawkinson

InDesign 7.0.4 OS X 10.6.8 Crashing on Auto Linking when Opening

IowaCityAdobeUser

Folks,

I am having some trouble with many machines running Adobe InDesign CS5 7.0.4 (installed as part of Adobe CS5 Design Standard and Adobe CS5 Design Premium) across multiple machines.

When opening InDesign CS5 by double clicking a .indd file I am prompted to Update Links.  If I select this option it goes through several links, freezes, and then promptly crashes.

This happens every time, on multiple documents.

We can update links by hand by selecting Don't Update Links.

I've attached a crash report at the following URL: http://pastebin.com/r2HkKDZv

Some things I have tried:

• Made sure all the linked files were chmod 777 to clear up any possible permissions issues
      • Updated OS X to 10.6.8 r1.1
      • Updated InDesign to 7.0.4
      • Deleted all InDesign preferences
      • Created a new user and attempted to open files under new user account.  Exact same crash.
      • Secure erased the hard drive, reimaged using our corporate image and reloaded Adobe software.  Issue persisted.

Any help or other suggestions you can make would be greatly apprecaited.

• 1. Re: InDesign 7.0.4 OS X 10.6.8 Crashing on Auto Linking when Opening
          IowaCityAdobeUser Level 1

Hate to reply to myself but thought I would add, I just unboxed a brand new MBP 17 with Apple's stock 10.7 software.  Installed Design Premium CS5 on this laptop and nothing else.  Opened the same file that is causing the trouble, and InDesign crashed in the exact same manner.  I wanted to make sure I ruled out our corporate image from the equation and in the process of doing so even ruled out the version of OS X.

• 2. Re: InDesign 7.0.4 OS X 10.6.8 Crashing on Auto Linking when Opening
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Does this happen with ALL files that have missing/out-of date links, or just this one file?

• 3. Re: InDesign 7.0.4 OS X 10.6.8 Crashing on Auto Linking when Opening

Not all, but not just a single file either.

They come from multiple sources but they're all created on InDesign CS4 for Windows (and Illustrator CS4 for Windows makes the EPS files that are linked)

• 4. Re: InDesign 7.0.4 OS X 10.6.8 Crashing on Auto Linking when Opening

I would recommend exporting any CS4 files from CS4 to .inx and opeing that in CS5, but if that is not an option, open the files without auto-updating so they don't crash, manually fix the links, then export to .idml, open that and save to a new file with a new name (don't overwrite the old one).

• 5. Re: InDesign 7.0.4 OS X 10.6.8 Crashing on Auto Linking when Opening

Sadly we don't have the option because these come from a vendor and any change such as requiring them to export to .INX would require a whole new contract and lots of lawyers and tens of $$$ of dollars.  We can of course do the link fix manually but these are huge documents with thousands of links.  We need to use the automatic feature which is included in this product to perform this function rather than pay people for several days of time to do this by hand.

• 6. Re: InDesign 7.0.4 OS X 10.6.8 Crashing on Auto Linking when Opening

Are the links in the same folder path with the document?

• 7. Re: InDesign 7.0.4 OS X 10.6.8 Crashing on Auto Linking when Opening

I wasn't thinking of having your vendor do the export, actually. Is this a manageable number of files for you to open and export in CS4? What happens if you try an export from CS5 before fixing links? Will the file open and update successfully after that?

And I don't suppose there's anything about any of the link names that you can identify as odd.

Please believe me whan I say I totally agree that you should not be having this problem and that the software ought to be working flawlessly. I can't help but think, though, that there is something unique about the files that crash -- we don't see dozens of other users with the same issue, which I would expect if there were some sort of general bug. And just so you don't think I'm blowing you off in some way, I'm just an ordinary user who volunteers here (as is everyone else who doesn't sport and Adobe Employee badge below their name) so I can't do more than offer suggestions for ways to work around the problem and get the job done. Quite frankly, even if you can work around this -- and I hope we can find a way to do that -- I think you should open a real support case with Adobe and get some engineers involved.

• 8. Re: InDesign 7.0.4 OS X 10.6.8 Crashing on Auto Linking when Opening
                        John Hawkinson Level 5

I've attached a crash report at the following URL: http://pastebin.com/r2HkKDZv

Thanks for posting the crash report.

The first thing I notice is that way down near the bottom of the stack, frames 65-75, there appears to be a script running:

65  com.adobe.InDesign.Scripting       0x21b3c7b4 GetPlugIn + 176628

66  com.adobe.InDesign.Scripting       0x21b3e72e GetPlugIn + 184686

67  com.adobe.InDesign.Scripting       0x21b3efcf GetPlugIn + 186895

68  ...ign.Support for AppleScript     0x21f15fc7 GetPlugIn + 80967

69  ...ign.Support for AppleScript     0x21f16a65 GetPlugIn + 83685

70  ...ign.Support for AppleScript     0x21f17355 GetPlugIn + 85973

71  ...ign.Support for AppleScript     0x21edfde2 0x21ede000 + 7650

72  com.apple.AE                       0x938a1f5c aeDispatchAppleEvent(AEDesc const*, AEDesc*, unsigned long, unsigned char*) + 166

73  com.apple.AE                       0x938a1e5b dispatchEventAndSendReply(AEDesc const*, AEDesc*) + 43

74  com.apple.AE                       0x938a1d65 aeProcessAppleEvent + 197

75  com.apple.HIToolbox                0x9143d197 AEProcessAppleEvent + 50

Are you using Applescript here? Can you tell us how? Do you have an automatic script running on certain events, or are you scripting the double-clicking of the INDD file? Does it change if you do not do so?

Is it possible that the INDD file contains multiple links to the same link?

Can you reproduce the problem with your own outdated link?

What about not updating the link and saving?

Or not updating the link, deleting 99% of the document (let's say all but 2 occurances of the link), saving it, and reopening it?

The faulting routine is essentially VOS_SimpleCursor::RemoveObject(short), which then calls memcpy(). I'm not familiar with it, but my assumption is that something has been freed already, and an invalid pointer is being held on to. Hence my question about multiple links to the same link.

That's all I can offer for now...