8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2011 8:54 PM by shutterbug69

InDesign CS5 button states

shutterbug69

How do I get a button to remain in the click state after it's released? Right now, after the button is released, it goes back to the normal state.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: InDesign CS5 button states
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Please describe what you’re trying to accomplish.

Bob

• 2. Re: InDesign CS5 button states
            shutterbug69 Level 1

HI Bob,

I have put together an interactive PDF using InDesign. The application is a list of questions to which the user will click on a button to answer yes to a question (only one answer is possible out of all of the questions). Upon clicking  the button, the answer to the question is displayed right below the list of questions. Therefore, after the button is clicked, I want the button to stand out from the other buttons so that it provides a visual aid to show which question was answered yes out of the list of questions.

Although I am able to get the rollover state and I did set up the click state properly in the buttons panel, the click state will not stay in place after the button is clicked on (upon release action) so that if the user moves the mouse away from the button after it's clicked, the button goes back to the normal state.

I hope you can help me with this because I really need to be able to do this not only with this project, but with future projects as well.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: InDesign CS5 button states
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Sorry, but that's the way it works. That's why it's called a click state. It looks that way when you click it, not after.

Bob

• 4. Re: InDesign CS5 button states
                shutterbug69 Level 1

Given what I'm trying to accomplish, do you have any suggestions on how I can set up the button to look different after the on release action?

• 5. Re: InDesign CS5 button states
                  Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The limitation isn't in InDesign. It's in PDF. PDF has three button states. In InDesign, they're labelled [Normal], Click and Rollover. In Acrobat, they're labelled Up, Down and Rollover. There just aren't any more states, nor ways to create them.

On the web, in HTML and CSS, you can set a link to have four different states, or appearances: a plain, unvisited link; a visited link; a hover state (or rollover); and an active link (the click state). But PDF only has three states. Apparently, you're wanting the button equivalent of a "visited link" but it's just not there.

Sometime, you just have to adapt your design to the existing technology and make the best of it.

• 6. Re: InDesign CS5 button states
                    francisjayaraj Level 1

Given what I'm trying to accomplish, do you have any suggestions on how I can set up the button to look different after the on release action?

You can try it with having creating two buttons one for Text box and other for color, and using show or hide buttons.

hope this will work for you.

This is workaround option, I tried...

• 8. Re: InDesign CS5 button states
                      shutterbug69 Level 1

Thanks Steve for the indesignsecrets link and the informative overview of PDF button states limitations. You are right about adapting to the existing technology and it this point, it's going to take some innovative workarounds such as your link and francisjayaraj's suggestion.

Given the additional visual feedback provided by a 4th State of a button and the prominence of it on the web, I'm surprised that there isn't more of a demand for a solution to this deficiency in interactive PDFs either by technological advances or as you guys suggested, workarounds. For the sake of my current and future projects, I will have to come up with the right workaround that isn't too complicated to set up.

Thanks again Steve and francisjayaraj.