7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2012 4:57 PM by Jim Curtis

Is it Worth Upgrading to CS5.5?

LukeTee Level 1

I have CS5 at the moment and I can't really see the benefit to upgrading to CS5.5

Is it worth the upgrade??

Luke

• 1. Re: Is it Worth Upgrading to CS5.5?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

That's an unanswerable question. Why not try the free trial and see for yourself? It's fully functional, so you can get a pretty good idea whether it's worthwhile to you or not.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is it Worth Upgrading to CS5.5?
            LukeTee Level 1

But in your opinion is it worth it?

• 3. Re: Is it Worth Upgrading to CS5.5?
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Sort of a loaded question, so I'll give an ambivalent answer: it depends

Again: use the trial. You'll know in no time if it's worth it to you. The features added to CS5.5 might not be enough to entice you, but perhaps some of the stability and performance enhancements might. There's no way to quantify those in any meaningful terms, so just take it for a test drive and if you don't like it, take it back to the lot.

• 5. Re: Is it Worth Upgrading to CS5.5?
                DVDmike Level 1

I was just loooking at the features of 5.5 vs 5.0 in PPro.  I have the production premium version of CS5 and with the current discount, you can update to the same bundle for $399.  The only two programs which are really updated and I use are After Effects and PPro.  Frankly, I see little benefit of paying even $399 to get these improved features for the two programs that I use and have been updated.  I thought about upgrading the the master collection 5.5.  But this is no deal at all.  In fact, it would be less money for me to upgrade to the MC5.5 from MC CS4 than it is to upgrade from PP CS5.0!  Basicaly, they give negative credit for having upgraded from CS4 MC to CS5.0 PP.  Just crazy.

Oh well, I will not be upgrading.  I will probably just end up upgrading to LR 4 when it comes out to have the updated ACR and stay on CS5 even after CS6 comes out.  I am glad LR is not part of a bundle and I can upgrade it as a standalone without having to pay unnecessarily.

• 6. Re: Is it Worth Upgrading to CS5.5?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I am glad LR is not part of a bundle and I can upgrade it as a standalone without having to pay unnecessarily.

There is something to be said for that. I can sort of see Adobe's point on upgrading to a suite, and then ONLY having an upgrade path for that suite vs perhaps individual licenses for individual Adobe programs, but am not 100% on-board with that policy. However, it is, what it is, and I have learned to live with that, though I had decades of multiple, individual Adobe licenses, that basically disappeared, with the first suite. Oh well.

If LR is adequate for your purposes, plus you get the ACR updates for it, I agree completely. Going back, I would have upgraded to a newer version of Photoshop only, but had lost that path. I did beta on LR, way back when, and never really warmed to it, in the initial iteration. For some of what I do now, I probably should reconsider, and explore the new LR 4, as that might "fill in" my "gap."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Is it Worth Upgrading to CS5.5?
                    Jim Curtis Level 3

At this point in time, there'd be small advantage to upgrading to CS5.5, IF you're thinking about upgrading to CS6 when it appears, which some Carnacs are soothsaying will launch at NAB in two months.  Adobe has already stated the upgrade will be the same price to upgrade from CS5 as CS5.5.