8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2011 1:05 AM by Ankur Agrawal

Elements Organizer 10 - no audio AND no thumbnails on AVCHD files

scottcnewton

Hi All,

I'm running Elements Organizer 10, and am seeing some strange behavior in that, since upgrading to 10 (from 9)

- none of my .mts files will play any sound in the Media Browser viewer and

- new .mts files that I import into the catalog have no thumbnails

The files do have thumbnails in Windows Explorer.

I can play the files, with sound, using both VLC and Windows Media Player.

Importing the files in Organizer 9 did generate thumbnails and playback with audio.

Premiere Elements 10 does generate clip thumbnails and successfully plays audio, too.

So - it seems to be somthing very specific to version 10 and the Organizer - not machine-wide.

I noticed that playback in the Media Browser viewer invoked the Haali Media Splitter I have installed on my machine.  Thinking that might be the wrong codec, I uninstalled it.

I could still play in VLC and WMP, but double-clicking in Organizer gave an error message that no appropriate codec was installed.

So, I installed ffdshow to see if that avc codec could be used, still no luck.

Reinstalled latest version of Haali, back to same behavior (no audio, no thumbnails) in Organizer - everything else working.

So, I can work by dragging the clips from Organizer onto VLC so I can play the video with sound while tagging, but I'm concerned that it's not working and that whatever the base problem will manifest itself more seriously later.

Any ideas? 

Thanks in advance!!

Scott

From Help | System Info

Elements Organizer 10.0.0.0

Core Version: 10.0 (20110831.m.17215)

Language Version: 10.0 (20110831.m.17215)

Current Catalog:

Catalog Name: My Catalog

Catalog Location: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\My Catalog\

Catalog Size: 70MB

Catalog Cache Size: 750.4MB

System:

Operating System Name: Windows 7

Operating System Version: 6.1 Service Pack 1

System Architecture: Intel CPU Family:6 Model:10 Stepping:5 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP

Built-in Memory: 6GB

Free Memory: 3.3GB

Important Drivers / Plug-ins / Libraries:

Microsoft DirectX Version: 9.0

Apple QuickTime Version: 7.70

Adobe Reader Version: 10.1

Adobe Acrobat Version: Not installed

CD and DVD drives:

D: (TSSTcorp DVDWBD BUS: 2 ID: 2 Firmware: SH-B123L)

• 1. Re: Elements Organizer 10 - no audio AND no thumbnails on AVCHD files
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime (per the program's requirements) and started a Premiere Elements project yet set up for AVCHD video?

You need to do this in order for the program to activate the AVCHD component.

• 2. Re: Elements Organizer 10 - no audio AND no thumbnails on AVCHD files
            rdnelson Level 2

You may need to activate the MPEG plugin.  Open Premiere Elements and simply add one of the MTS files to a new project.  You may need to add the media to the timeline (I can't remember if this is required or not).  You should get a dialog stating the plugin is being activated.

• 3. Re: Elements Organizer 10 - no audio AND no thumbnails on AVCHD files
              Ankur Agrawal

Hi Scott,

Please confirm that the copy of Premiere Elements 10 (PRE10) installed on your system, is serialized i.e. you have Premiere Elements with a serial number.

Incase, you've a serailixed PRE10, please do following steps and let me know the results:

1) Re-launch PRE if it is already running

2) Import one of the AVCHD (mts) to PRE

3) Now, try to play that file in Organizer.

-Ankur

• 4. Re: Elements Organizer 10 - no audio AND no thumbnails on AVCHD files
                scottcnewton Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the input... 

I did go back and confirm that I'm running the latest QT for my machine 7.7 (1680.34) according to the QT Player. 

Just in case, I re-downloaded the QT Installer and Repaired the installation. No change in behavior in Organizer.

I don't think it's QT that is used for AVCHD files, tho, is it? I tried to play my video in the QT player, and it won't play .mts...

Also, as others suggested, I did attempt to 'activate' the AVCHD plugin - but, didn't get any new popups or dialogs (it might have happened when I originally installed and I didn't pay attention to it)...

I had previously right-clicked on a clip in organizer and selected "Edit in Premiere Elements...", put the clip on the timeline, played and scanned thru the clip, saved the Project.  But, based on yours and the other suggestions, (I did this a few times with different clips) I created a new project, Get Media from Files and Folders, loaded a clip, dragged to timeline, played/scanned, double-clicked to bring up the previewer in Element - everything works as expected.

Back to Organizer - same behavior as before.

Uninstalled Haali again, and tried all of the 'plugin activation' steps again.  No change except Organizer still complains of not having the required codec.

So - for some reason, the organizer thinks it should use the Haali Media splitter as the codec for avchd - everything else on my machine seems to be able to find a more suitable codec - vlc, wmp, pre all work fine.

Did some more surfing on the forums, and found some references to Premiere Pro using the Haali media splitter (?). 

So, one other piece of info - Prior to Elements 9, I did have Premiere Pro installed on this machine.  Very nice, but overkill for what I want to do.  So, I uninstalled it prior to installing Premiere Elements 9.  Everything worked fine w/ 9, but not with 10.

So - is there some way to determine which codec Organizer is using and/or force it to use a specific one?

Is it possible (seems likely with the symptoms) that there was some configuration file or registry entry left over from Pr that is now directing Organizer to use the same codec that it previously used (instead of the default)?

Thanks all!!  Normally I'd be able to figure this out, but am pretty new to 'the inner workings' of Pre.

Thanks,

Scott

• 5. Re: Elements Organizer 10 - no audio AND no thumbnails on AVCHD files
                  Ankur Agrawal Level 2

Just a quick one:

Do you've PRE in serialized mode i.e. Premiere Elements with a serial number.?

• 6. Re: Elements Organizer 10 - no audio AND no thumbnails on AVCHD files
                    scottcnewton Level 1

Hi Ankur,

Sorry - didn't answer that one...  Yep - all paid up and serialized

Thanks,

S

• 7. Re: Elements Organizer 10 - no audio AND no thumbnails on AVCHD files
                      scottcnewton Level 1

All right - thanks everyone for the help. 

I was hoping I wouldn't have to un/reinstall - but, that's about all I have left.  or call tech support, but that was lower on my list than reinstalling...

I fixed it by

uninstalling premiere and photoshop elements 10

uninstalling haali media splitter

reinstalling premiere elements 10

worked straight out of organizer first thing - update thumbnail produced a thumbnail, and doubleclick played with sound.

• 8. Re: Elements Organizer 10 - no audio AND no thumbnails on AVCHD files
                        Ankur Agrawal Level 2

Great!! Please let me know if you face any issue.