4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2011 9:02 AM by rigoliarts

TOC issue

rigoliarts Level 1

Working on a MacBookPro OS 10.6.8 InDesign cs5

I designed a book in InDesign. I styled all chapter headings the same and went to Layout > Table of Contents, I specified what styles I wanted in the TOC, then clicked okay. I get a message that says "The Table of Contents has been updated successfully." But the problem is, I don't see the TOC anywhere in my document and I don't get that loaded cursor either.

Help!

• 1. Re: TOC issue
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The "updated" message sounds suspiciously like ID thinks there was already a TOC someplace. Did you have a text cursor active in your document someplace? If so, there's a good chance ID repalce that story with the TOC.

When you create a TOC there should be nothing active, and you must always place the TOC stroy as its own story, not threaded with anything else.

• 2. Re: TOC issue
            Grant H Level 4

ye that or the TOC frame is off the page and you have preview on or you created a tiny TOC text frame by accident.

G

• 3. Re: TOC issue
              wjnp2000 Level 2

What do you see on the page? A empty frame? Just a title?

You gonna see the paragraph style that you created.

See "keep options", the option keep with the next must be 0 (zero), the option Start paragraph must be "anywhere"

I hope it helpful.

• 4. Re: TOC issue
                rigoliarts Level 1

Thanks for the tips. Nothing worked, although I suspect there was a hidden Text box somewhere that contained the ToC that I still can not find. Eventually I saved it as a new ToC style, named it and it gave me the loaded cursor and allowed me to place the Toc on the desired page. So, that was my work-around. Thank you for your suggestions.