6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2011 3:07 AM by George Evans

Elements 9 ACR 6.5 is a cut down program

George Evans

I've used ACR with CS4 before to process my RAW files but recently bought Lightroom 3.5 and Elements 9. I've upgraded both programs to ACR 6.5 to support my camera and noticed for the first time that the Elements plugin is a cut down version of ACR 6.5 with many of its features missing. If ACR 6.5 is a free download and available from thrid party websites why isn't the full program available when opening a RAW file withing Elements 9? I've tried downloading it from Adobe and using it as a standalone probram but when opening it up I'm told that it isn't appropriate.

George

• 1. Re: Elements 9 ACR 6.5 is a cut down program
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

George Evans wrote:

If ACR 6.5 is a free download and available from thrid party websites why isn't the full program available when opening a RAW file withing Elements 9?

Uh...because it's Photoshop Elements and thus a reduced version of Photoshop? Look, it's not a secret..Elements is a reduced version of Photoshop (for a reason-the price, hello...did you really nee to ask?)

ACR in Elements will not have the full cpability because, well, Elements is a reduced version of Photoshop...

• 2. Re: Elements 9 ACR 6.5 is a cut down program
            George Evans Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I do realise that Elements is a cut down version of CS5 and that Lightroom 3.5 now has ACR 6.5 embedded into it but I'd like to access all of the features within ACR. I take it then that although I own LR3 there's no way of doing that without buying CS5.

• 3. Re: Elements 9 ACR 6.5 is a cut down program
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

From what I’ve seen, while many adjustment tabs and sliders are not in PSE-hosted ACR, the underlying RAW converter is still the same, so if you have made adjustments in LR and save into an XMP then open in PSE, or just use Edit In Photoshop Elements from LR, the ACR that opens the file on the way in to PSE will apply all the adjustments that were made in LR.  And so since you can make all the adjustments in LR there’s no need to make anymore adjustments in the ACR on the way into PSE is there?

Is your experience different than this, where if you do something in LR that doesn’t have a corresponding slider in the PSE-hosted ACR, it doesn’t get applied.  For example, if you make a manual lens-correction for perspective that is easy to tell whether it happened or not, in LR and then do a Edit in Photoshop Elements from LR, does the perspective-correction not happen?

The only thing that should be different is that you have to be in LR to make all the adjustments, not use PSE-hosted ACR to make them.

• 4. Re: Elements 9 ACR 6.5 is a cut down program
                George Evans Level 1

I'm new to LR3 and Elements 9 and I'm used to using the ACR interface for processing my RAW files.

I have an image that has some chromatic aberation and I can't seem to get rid of it in LR3. It can also be done in ACR but frustratingly the tabs and tools I want when I open the RAW in Elements 9 are missing.

If LR3 uses the full ACR 6.5 program I'd like to be able to process a RAW file outside of LR using ACR as a standalone program but I guess that's not possible.

When I right click on an image withing LR the only option I get is to edit with Elements 9 and the cut down ACR 6.5 opens up..

• 5. Re: Elements 9 ACR 6.5 is a cut down program
                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

George Evans wrote:

If LR3 uses the full ACR 6.5 program I'd like to be able to process a RAW file outside of LR using ACR as a standalone program but I guess that's not possible.

LR 3.5 uses the ACR 6.5 engine given he limitations of the engine...you can't really do what you are asking about outsid of LR 3.5 unless you have ACR 6.5 (whiich only works in PS CS5 and 5.5).

Sorry, no can do....Adobe tries to make it clear but sometimes users misunderstand the relationship of ACR and LR.

• 6. Re: Elements 9 ACR 6.5 is a cut down program
                    George Evans Level 1

Thanks for your help Jeff. Then I'll have to learn LR3 and get to know it.