8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2011 2:49 AM by Peter Spier

Table text in layers

junkierawkstar

Hello everyone,

We have a product catalogue, fully made in Indesign CS5, which features several languages. Each language is a separate layer, which works very well.

We only have a problem with tables. We have created a table design. As far as we've found out so far, we can't put the table text in layers (divived by language). Does anyone know a solution?

Best regards,

Gerben

• 1. Re: Table text in layers
          Michael Gianino Level 4

You could have a different table on each layer.

• 2. Re: Table text in layers
            junkierawkstar Level 1

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your feedback. The problem is that we would like to avoid having tables per language. This means we would have to create 4 times as many tables (we use 4 languages).

And we would like to avoid that the tables have different dimensions, positions etc. All languages should be exactly the same graphic- and table wise.

• 3. Re: Table text in layers
              Grant H Level 4

you could set the cells up to EXACT that way the table will always be the same size .... etc.

G

• 4. Re: Table text in layers
                David W. Goodrich Level 3

You could put the same table on every layer if the table was neutral as to language (e.g., all Arabic numerals with the same decimal mark and thousands separator).  But if your tables include text that varies by language then it is going to be a challenge "to avoid having tables per language."  When I make tables, spacing is usually tight, and the space that text occupies often changes significantly when the text is translated.

David

• 5. Re: Table text in layers
                  peter minneapolis Level 4

junkierawkstar wrote:

Hello everyone,

We have a product catalogue, fully made in Indesign CS5, which features several languages. Each language is a separate layer, which works very well.

We only have a problem with tables. We have created a table design. As far as we've found out so far, we can't put the table text in layers (divived by language). Does anyone know a solution?

Best regards,

Gerben

Have you considered using conditional text in the table cells? You'd show one language's condition and hide the others. Search Google for terms like "InDesign conditional text tutorial," without quotes for details.

If the length of text in all languages fits in the same number of lines in the cell, the table won't change; however, longer text that wraps around lines will increase cell height unless the cell heights are set to "exactly" <some measurement>.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 6. Re: Table text in layers
                    Luke Jennings Level 4

You could have a separate Indesign file for your table only, with 4 layers (or 4 pages), placed in each language layer. I don't really see any advantage, but I just wanted to throw it out there because it addresses your separate tables for each language rule, sort of.

• 7. Re: Table text in layers
                      junkierawkstar Level 1

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help with this. It's just too bad that the text table cannot be put in layers. I guess the easiest solution is to make 4 tables (one per language) Thanks again!

• 8. Re: Table text in layers
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If you want one table, take another look at Peter Gold's answer. Conditional text really is the way to have four different languages in one place at the same time, with the ability to hide all but the one of your choice.

Certainly, a table is a complex object, and you might need to do the editing for this in the story editor rather than in the layout. Would that present a problem?

Also, how are able to garantee that the table uses the same size for cells in all languages, or falls in the same place if it is inline with the text? I think if thoes were important considerations I would probably move to four tables -- in fact I can't think of a way not to use four tables if they need to be inline as part of the text.