• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to show the TOC pane in Webhelp

New Here ,
Sep 30, 2011 Sep 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RoboHelp 7 for HTML to produce Webhelp projects.

I find that whenever I compile the project, once it is embedded in the software application it is intended for, the TOC, Index and Search pane does not display automatically. Instead, there is a "Show" link at the top left of the topic window. When you select it, the pane is displayed.

The application users are complaining that they can't navigate the help because there is no TOC! It hasn't occurred to them to click on the "Show" link. Is there any way the TOC pane can be made to display automatically?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 04, 2011 Oct 04, 2011

Just tested on RoboHelp 7 and it works fine for me. Can you check the following:

• The script is inserted into the footer of your template and not in the body.
  • All topics use the template.

Also, what browser are you using?

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is because of the way your developers are calling the help. They seem to be using direct URLs to the topics. See Calling WebHelp using URLs on my site.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I published a simple script that forces the WebHelp to always open the navigation pane and navigation controls. See http://www.wvanweelden.eu/robohelp/skinning_webhelp/always_show_navigation_pane

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi William,

I tried this out and unfortunately, it did not work.

My webhelp project is context-senstive so the master page is rarely, if ever, the first topic that is opened. Could that be a reason why it doesn't work?

Regards,

Barbara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The Master page referred to is the Template of RoboHelp 7. If you add the code to the footer of your template, it should work.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2011 Oct 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi William,

Thanks for the tip. I have tried it, pasting it into the footer of my project's template and unfortunately, it still will not work 😞

Regards,

Barbara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2011 Oct 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

There should be a space between 'var' and 'panevisible' on the first line of the script. It works when you add the space. I've amended the page. Sorry about that.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2011 Oct 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willam,

Sorry, just tried doing this and it still doesn't work.

Regards,

Barbara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tested on RoboHelp 7 and it works fine for me. Can you check the following:

• The script is inserted into the footer of your template and not in the body.
  • All topics use the template.

Also, what browser are you using?

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Willam,

Sorry, I had neglected to attach the template to my topics!!! Now that I have done so, everything is working according to your instructions.

Thank you very much for your help. Also, thanks to Peter Grainge.

Regards,

Barbara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp