8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2011 12:41 PM by reindeer4

Running a trial version of CS5.5 on top of installed CS4

reindeer4 Level 1

Hi.  I have Adobe Master Suite CS4, and I'm on a 64 bit windows 7 system with 24GB RAM.

I have a complex After Effects Scene that I'd been Dynamically linking with Premiere Pro.  I can no longer successfully export media from Premiere Pro and get anything to show up, however.

Tried exporting both as png and jpg sequence (as well as flv) directly from AFX render queue, but rendering shuts down with errors after 100-300 images (out of a few thousand).

Using Windows Task manager, I see AFX using roughly 3GB of memory - so not sure if that's causing the problem.

If there are any other likely culprits that occur to someone please let me know.

Otherwise, wanted to know if I could download and install the trial versions of After Effects and Premiere CS5.5 on top of my CS4 Master Suite installation to see if working with 64 bit programs would fix the problem.

From what I've seen in other threads I don't expect that to cause any problems with my CS4 stuff, but just wanted to verify that here before I started.

Thanks for any advice.

• 1. Re: Running a trial version of CS5.5 on top of installed CS4
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Dynamic Link only works within suite installs, so separately installing the trials of Premiere and AE won't solve your problem. The rest is a bit vague - CS4 is 32bit, so yes, each individual process van only address 4GB of memory, but that per se mustn't mean it's not enough. More to the point, memory exhaustion and then the errors you see are always caused by specific combinations of things like using Dynamic Link of course, but also possibly involving multiprocessing, OpenGL, specific output modules, source footage CoDecs and whatnot. You'd need to be more specific about that for anyone to advise.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Running a trial version of CS5.5 on top of installed CS4
            reindeer4 Level 1

Mylenium - thanks for the response - and for pointing out that Dynamic Link only works on a suite installation - I'd probably known that at one point but had completely forgotten.

At this point, I'd be satisfied with simply rendering out my After Effects project as either an FLV or an image sequence (jpg or png) which I could then bring into Adobe Premiere CS4 (without a dynamic link) to add titles and audio.

So my main question becomes:

1) Can I install the trial versions of After Effects CS 5.5 without messing up my current Adobe Installation of MasterSuite CS4?  (I'll make backup copies of files before bringing anything into AFX 5.5 so backward compatability doesn't become an issue for future use)

2) Any tricks I should be aware of to help my After Effects render go all the way through - i tried several times and kept running into problems within the first 300 images/frames out of a required several thousand.

NOTE - Looks like I can render an AVI from After Effects without things crashing.

I did get the following error message right away -- There is an error in background rendering so switching to foreground rendering after 1 frames completed out of total 1799 frames. (26  ::  142) -- but AFX went on to render this composition (which was the first quarter of my video) properly. 

Just did a new file with the remaining 3/4ers - got the same error message --   There is an error in background rendering so switching to foreground rendering after 1 frames completed out of total 7406 frames. (26  ::  142) -- then went on to render properly.

Don't know if that helps narrow what my problem was (why AFX couldn't render in the background) -

I noticed that 'Use OpenGL" was listed as Off under the Render Settings print out in my log file.

This problem (inability to render  was also happening with Premiere closed and no dynamic link activated), and no other resource hungry programs running in the background.  My Log had been set to Errors only, which didn't seem to generate any Log files during yesterday's renders.  Right now I'm rendering as an FLV, and it seems to be proceeding okay - RAM usage listed as 34-35% of 4GB, 3300 frames of 7500ish rendered.

I'd like to understand what went wrong so I can avoid the problem in the future.  So please let me know if this info suggests anything specific to you.

(And also, just for my knowledge, can I safely install trial of AFX CS5.5 without interfering with my current CS4 installation?)

Thanks 

• 3. Re: Running a trial version of CS5.5 on top of installed CS4
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

reindeer4 wrote:

At this point, I'd be satisfied with simply rendering out my After Effects project as either an FLV or an image sequence (jpg or png) which I could then bring into Adobe Premiere CS4 (without a dynamic link) to add titles and audio.

There's another possibility that doesn't include CS 5.5; it could be the nature of your footage.  AE 9 can't deal well with long-gop footage like AVCHD, H.264, or any kind of mpeg.  If such footage is present in your AE project, you probably should convert it to a lossless codec.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Running a trial version of CS5.5 on top of installed CS4
                reindeer4 Level 1

Dave -

The files I'm working with include FLVs, PNG sequences, rpf sequences (with some 3d data), and several .mov files, some of which are at 1920 x 1080 pixels.  Could those mov files account for AFX inability to 'render in the background'?

And if so, re-encoding them to FLV's with Adobe Media Encoder should fix the problem?

• 5. Re: Running a trial version of CS5.5 on top of installed CS4
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

I can't comment on FLV files or RPF sequences -- I don't use them.  But I do know you'd do well to check the codec(s) of the quicktime movies if only to eliminate them as problem sources.

• 6. Re: Running a trial version of CS5.5 on top of installed CS4
                    reindeer4 Level 1

Ok,  What am I looking for - or how do I check the Codec?  I opened one in a quicktime player but not sure what info I'm looking for.

• 7. Re: Running a trial version of CS5.5 on top of installed CS4
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

>  Otherwise, wanted to know if I could download and install the trial versions of After Effects and Premiere CS5.5 on top of my CS4 Master Suite installation to see if working with 64 bit programs would fix the problem. From what I've seen in other threads I don't expect that to cause any problems with my CS4 stuff, but just wanted to verify that here before I started.

Yes, you can install the trial version of the CS5.5 applications on a computer with the CS4 versions installed. The programs and their installers are made so that the later versions don't interfere with the earlier versions.

• 8. Re: Running a trial version of CS5.5 on top of installed CS4
                        reindeer4 Level 1

Todd -

Thanks for the clear reply, and glad to hear Adobe built their installers so as not to mess up versions already on our system.