3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2011 5:16 PM by Steve Grisetti

Cannot access anything under Edit/Prefrences.

ross7220

using HP Pavilion DV7 Notebook.  Intell dual core 2.13GHz processor.  4GB ram. 64bit windows 7 home premium. with ATI radeon hd 4530 video card.

When i am in Adobe Premiere and choose Edit/Prefrences - and select any option (ie General, filed, editing, etc) the program locks up with a box saying loading.  It will

stay there forever until i use task manager to quit program.

I have tried deleting the Pref files from computer and restarting and it still does not help.  Any ideas on what could be causeing this?  I did upgrade from Version 8 to version 9.

• 1. Re: Cannot access anything under Edit/Prefrences.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It could be an improper installation.

But that's assuming you've got a clean, tuned and defragmented C drive. Have you run a program like Advanced System Care recently and defragged the drive?

http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

(New computers can be a mess of tmp files and fragmentation!)

Also, manually go to Windows Update and ensure you have all of the necessary updates and ensure that you have the latest version of Quicktime.

You may also need to uninstall/reinstall the program. Maybe it just didn't take.

Though it sounds to me much more like a resource issue. Advanced System Care and a defragging should take care of it (assuming you've got a couple hundred gigs of free space on your C drive).

• 2. Re: Cannot access anything under Edit/Prefrences.
            ross7220 Level 1

It seems like there have been minor issues with the program since I installed it.  I upgraded from 8 because tech support couln't figure out why I couldn't go into the Edit section of the program.  Now with this version it seems like I am having other issues.  I have defragmented my drive and have ran cc cleaner to get rid of bad files, but it still hasn't helped.  If I were to re-install program, what do I need to backup to save all my tags and information linked to the over 40000 photos that I have.  I really don't want to have to retag everything!  Also, do i need to do something to un register this install first to be able to re-install

• 3. Re: Cannot access anything under Edit/Prefrences.
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You will not lose any work or metadata if you uninstall/reinstall.