8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2011 2:45 PM by Troy Vaupel

Safe Margins Premiere Pro CS5

Troy Vaupel

My sequence is set up at 1280x720. In my market, only 2 stations broadcast in HD, so I will need to down-convert the commercial to SD. Is there a way to show safe title margins for 4x3 as well as 16x9 in my sequence? I want to make sure I don't cut off my footage or graphics when I end up outputting in SD.

I'm sure there is a way, but I cannot seem to find it. This is my first attempt at editing in HD, simply because my small market doesn't accept local commercials in HD. Even though they all broadcast in HD. Currently, they up-convert all SD spots.

Thanks for your feedback.

Troy Vaupel

Creative Director

Expressway Dodge

• 1. Re: Safe Margins Premiere Pro CS5
          Jim_Simon Level 8

The same margins apply for both HD and SD.  So when you downconvert, you'll end up with the same framing.  If it's safe in one, it'll be safe in the other (so long as you properly convert to either a 16:9 SD or a letterboxed 4:3.)

• 2. Re: Safe Margins Premiere Pro CS5
            Colin Brougham Level 6

No, unfortunately not. Premiere Pro has been missing this, while After Effects allows for it.

Here's my workaround (I'm in a similar situation): I create a custom sequence preset that is basically a 4:3 version of 720p. That means dimensions of 960x720 with a PAR of 1.0 (square pixels). I create a sequence using that preset, and nest my original HD sequence into it; it will automatically create a center crop since the heights of sequences are the same, and then you can use the safe title overlay to view what will be safe within the 4:3 guides. This way, you can quickly toggle back and forth between the two sequences to adjust your layout.

Of course, you could also just export a letterboxed 4:3 version; if you were within title safe on the HD sequence, you'll be inside title safe on the SD export.

• 3. Re: Safe Margins Premiere Pro CS5
              Jim_Simon Level 8

you could also just export a letterboxed 4:3 version

Could also?  Should only, I say.  (Ugh!  Pan and Scan on commercials.  When will it end?!)

• 4. Re: Safe Margins Premiere Pro CS5
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Huh? What are you talking about?

• 5. Re: Safe Margins Premiere Pro CS5
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

If you have an HD original, it will be 16:9.  There are no 4:3 HD formats.

So, if you export to SD, which does have 4:3 formats, you need to letterbox that HD original to see the whole image.  If you do that, you do not need to worry about safe margins for the SD version.  Everything will look just like it did in the HD version, except with black bars on top and bottom.

Your method (and the AE margins you spoke of) only comes into play when you crop the HD original to fill the 4:3 SD frame, a process that might not technically be the same as Pan & Scan, but ends up with the same result - you don't see the full original image.  Something is cropped off.  And that's just wrong.  It was wrong for movies during the VHS era.  It was wrong when Circuit City tried to compete with DVD using their Full Frame DivX disks (not the same as the codec).  It's still wrong now with Blu-ray when we don't see very small black bars on 1.85:1 originals.  And it's just as wrong with commercials.

Anyway, that's my rant for the day.  Carry on...

• 6. Re: Safe Margins Premiere Pro CS5
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

And it's even wrong with commercials.

I guess I'll have to call up the people that pay me and tell them that I'm wrong and they're stupid. Thanks for setting me straight.

It really is much better to see a tiny floating sliver of video floating in a sea of black instead of at least a full-height pillarboxed image. What was I thinking?

• 7. Re: Safe Margins Premiere Pro CS5
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I guess I'll have to call up the people that pay me and tell them that I'm wrong and they're stupid.

Oh, you're such a tease.

(If you're feeling adventurous, your next call could be to the directors who frame their HD sitcoms fto be 4:3 safe.  Get them also to move their opening credits over to the edge, where they belong, instead of in the middle of the frame so it'll show on a 4:3 display.  And then after that, talk to the station managers about their bugs.  They also need to be moved over to the edge ot the 16:9 frame, instead of where they are so they can also be seen on a 4:3 display.  And then...)

• 8. Re: Safe Margins Premiere Pro CS5
                        Troy Vaupel Level 1

Here's the quirk ... the stations that DO take HD in our market (Evansville, IN), take the HD and down convert to SD. There are 2 stations. One will either letterbox or pillarbox for SD, the other ONLY pillarboxes. Hence the necessity to know my 4x3 safe area. I may go ahead and do the letterbox and give it to them for their SD, since I'll have to do that anyway for the remaining SD stations. It's such a pain. Can't we all just do HD and be done with it?