8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2011 12:31 PM by ALMedcalf6

Lag Problem...

ALMedcalf6

I'm having a lag problem, my video plays fine in the source monitor but there is a major lag when I play the video back in the program monitor.  Does anyone have an idea why that is?  Could it be a Ram issue or a graphic card issue?

• 1. Re: Lag Problem...
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Would need to list more information such as system spec and Sequence settings.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: Lag Problem...
            ALMedcalf6 Level 1

Inside Adobe where how can I find the specs...?

• 3. Re: Lag Problem...

I meant what are the specs of your system. List CPU, Ram, Video card, and drives. The Sequence settings are the preset you selected when you started the project. You can also go under Sequence settings and see them there.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: Lag Problem...
                ALMedcalf6 Level 1

Manufacturer: Acer

Model: Veriton X275

Rating: 3.4 Windows Experience Index

Processor: Pentium (R): Dual-Core CPU E5800 @3.20GHz 3.20GHz

Ram: 2.00 GB

System type: 64-bit operating system

• 5. Re: Lag Problem...

What project preset are you trying to use with that?

The downside to Adobe's MPE engine is systems with lower specs suffer far worse performance than they would with another editing host program. The Engine really does require a decent system to work well due to the I-Frame Algorithm Adobe uses for the MPE acceleration. You might have to change the Preview Codec to one of the others to get any real playback on the timeline with that system. The preset you are using now will decide what other ones you can use.

Eric

ADK

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Lag Problem...
                    Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

AL, welcome to the forums.

Sorry to say but you have a very underpowered system to run Premiere CS 5 or 5.5.  The minimum specifications for Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 or CS5.5 are for two disk drives.  If you go to our Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM5) web site and under test results you will see over 470 test results submitted.  No one has even tested an E5800 CPU and no one has tested a 2 GB Ram system. (Cilck on the top of the columns to sort the column).  Also you are probably using the onboard Intel graphics processor which apparently does not have dedicated video RAM so you are probably sharing the 2GB RM for video and CPU usage.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Lag Problem...
                      RjL190365 Level 4

AL,

I agree with Bill. That system is far below Adobe's minimum (practical) requirements to run Premiere Pro at all. If you can see the PPBM5 results list you'll find that there are absolutely no systems with only 2GB total of RAM at all on that list. And there are only three systems on that list that have 3GB of RAM. All of the other systems have 4GB or more RAM - most with far more than that.

And as my PPBM5 results with a cheap dual-core CPU with integrated/onboard graphics show, don't expect decent editing performance with such a system: My particular rig that's so equipped is around 20 times slower than a fast i7 system with discrete Nvidia graphics. (And that's with an i3-2100; Core 2 Duos and Pentium Dual-Core Exxxx series CPUs would be significantly slower than even the i3.)

As for your system, there is practically nothing that you can do to improve its performance: Such budget OEM systems have no RAID support at all, and although your system does use DDR3 RAM, the system is limited to only 4GB maximum total RAM. Worse, Acer cheaped out on this system by using the G41 chipset, which is always paired with an even more ancient ICH7 South bridge that supports neither RAID nor AHCI which would have improved disk I/O performance. Worst of all, your system cannot accommodate even regular-height PCI-e graphics cards, thus limiting you to the likes of the really sluggish Radeon HD 4350/5450 and GeForce 210 - discrete GPUs whose performance is not sufficiently better than onboard/integrated graphics to justify their current street prices.

In other words, save up for an entire new system at this point.

Message was edited by: RjL190365

• 8. Re: Lag Problem...
                        ALMedcalf6 Level 1

Ok ok, thank you guys for your help.