4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2011 12:46 PM by Paul Ciotti2

Why can't I delete gaps in the video or audio timeline?

Paul Ciotti2

I have added narration to a sequence of old (silent) video clips. But when I delete or add a clip to march the narration I frequently get a gap on either the video line or the narration line. I can click on it to turn it gray but I can't delete to close the gap. The audio and video are not linked. They were recorded at totally different times. Why can't I click on a grayed gap and delete this?

One note:every once in a while (one time in ten) I can delete a grayed area. I have no idea what I've done on this occasion to close gaps.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Why can't I delete gaps in the video or audio timeline?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It all depends on if there are video or audio clips on parallel tracks that are keeping it from being a true "gap".

• 2. Re: Why can't I delete gaps in the video or audio timeline?
            Paul Ciotti2 Level 1

Steve

I'm not sure I understand. What is the difference between a true gap and and an apparent gap? There were no gaps in either the narrative or the video until I inserted (or deleted a clip). I'm only using one track (the first one). And I've added the narrative just below it. There is nothing at all on video 2 or audio 2 (except for the title at the very beginning).

How do other people add a short clip into the video 1 timeline without introducing a comparable gap in the narrative line below?

This is maddening when I'm trying to finish what is really only a 12 minute video. Attempting to close everything back up again literally stops me cold. I assume more sophisticated users have ways of dealing with  this. I wish I knew what they were.

best wishes

Paul

• 3. Re: Why can't I delete gaps in the video or audio timeline?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you will post a screen capture of your timeline with all of your video and audio tracks displayed, we can easily tell you which gaps are true gaps and which gaps will not delete-and-close because of video or audio on parallel tracks.

• 4. Re: Why can't I delete gaps in the video or audio timeline?
                Paul Ciotti2 Level 1

Steve

Here is an example of a non-deletable gap that opened when I deleted a

short video clip. As you can see (except for the title) I'm only using

video1 and audio1. The audio track on audio 1 was not created at the

same time as any of the video clips so they shouldn't be linked in any

way. I made the audio track on my video camera (which has excellent

sound quality) and imported it and put it under the video clips. What I

don't understand is why, when I delete a clip, the rest of the files to

the right just don't move over and close the gap. To close these gaps

manually has been a bit of an ordeal because I have to move over every

clip to the right of the gap. Or perhaps you know of an easy way to do this.

best

Paul