1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 30, 2011 10:30 PM by Michael Gianino

How do I page set to print to the edge of A4?

Hoglet22

Hi there,

This is probably a simple and ridiculous question for those of you who work in publishing - I'm an artist using ID for the first time!

I just want to design a page with colour and lines that go right to the edge of A4 paper. How do I set a page up properly to do this? I'm thinking about when I go to have the pages commercially printed. If I want a whole A4 designed page, do they end up having to print it on bigger paper and then cut it down, or can you set the ID file up so that they can print directly onto A4 - no chopping required!

Many thanks for any help! :-)

Hamish

• 1. Re: How do I page set to print to the edge of A4?
          Michael Gianino Level 4

Hoglet22 wrote:

…do they end up having to print it on bigger paper and then cut it down…

That's generally how it's done in commercial printing. Set up your document size to the size of your finished page and let part of your image hang off the edge of the page (called the "bleed"). When printed on larger paper with trim marks, the extra image will be removed, and it will look like it was printed to the edge of the paper, when in fact, it was just trimmed to look that way.

Hoglet22 wrote:

…or can you set the ID file up so that they can print directly onto A4 - no chopping required!

There are photo printers that can print borderless, but unless you know what printer you will be using, it's a risk to assume this is possible. Best bet is to talk to who ever is printing this, and ask what they require.