5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2011 4:12 AM by Aniks

Combine/Split Video files

ABrad_R

What is the best way to combine or split video files?  I have found a third party program that will do this (ScenalzyerLive), but I would think that Adobe Premiere or Photoship could to this as well.  My understanding is that Premiere does not actually change the root file, which is what I want to do.  I am less concerned about using Premiere to create great videos to burn to a dvd than to quickly combine my short videos into one video file (i.e. 13th birthday).  Conversely, I would like to split my long videos that are 2 hours long from my old, old 1992 camcorder (Sony Video 8 TRV21 Handycam with .avi files) into much shorter segments.

With technology today, I think a lot of people simply want to combine and split videos instead of create great transitions from one scene to another.  Espceially now that you can use remote into your computer from your iphone to play videos (i.e through AirVideo).  Ease of finding relevant and organized clips is getting more important.

• 1. Re: Combine/Split Video files
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I know of no programs that will change the original files.

The nature of non-linear editors is that they are non-destructive. In other words, they use your video clips as material to create new, edited clips.

So virtually any PC-based editor will allow you to combine the clips and output a new clip made up of the combination. (You can then delete the originals if you'd like.) This is a simple process and takes only a few minutes.

But as far as I know there is no program that allows you to open up an AVI, for instance, cram new video into it and then resave it, if that's what you're asking.

Why not do it the traditional way?

• 2. Re: Combine/Split Video files
            ABrad_R Level 1

The reason I change the original file is that I can watch my videos from my

iPhone or iPad remotely (i.e. through the AirVideo app) in an organized

manner.  I currently have nearly a terabyte of video that obviously cannot

be stored on my iPhone or iPad.  Therefore,if I am away from my house and want

to show someone my child's soccer game, I don't like having to remote into my

home computer to play 30 clips (files), versus one clip (file) that was

combined.  I think with "the cloud" direction we are going, and more and more

people watching videos remotely.

My editing of the original files is not extensive.  I simple cut out parts of

scenes I don't want, and combine others.  ScenalyzerLive 4.0 does this very

well.

Since there is not an Adobe PRE app that allows me to watch videos remotely,

this is the best alternative.

• 3. Re: Combine/Split Video files
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you tried the Share option under Portable Devices to output to an iPhone or iPad? It creates a video file that's custom-optimized for those particular devices.

• 4. Re: Combine/Split Video files
                ABrad_R Level 1

Thanks, I will give it a try, but in the end, I don't think that will accomplish

what I am looking for. 

• 5. Re: Combine/Split Video files
                  Aniks Level 2

I think you will need to export your videos after combining/splitting your videos in whichever format you would like.

To split your 2 hr long video into segements, just move the CTI in the timeline to the position where you want to split. Use the split tool (scissor shaped, at the right corner below the monitor) or you can use "Ctrl+K" on WIN, "Cmd+K" on MAC. After splitting into as many segements as you want, you can change the workbar area and export your videos from the Sharing center.

To combine your videos, just place all the videos you want to combine in sequence and again, export them from the sharing center.