9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2012 2:30 AM by John Hawkinson

Indesign CS5 Lion Start-up Crash

1R2P3 Level 1

I just got a new MacBook Air with OSX Lion preinstalled, and have transferred files over from a snow leopard mac using migration assistant. After that, Indesign CS5 will not start on the air. I have tried updating the software several times, and nothing seems to work. Photoshop works fine, as does indesign on my other computer, but it crashes on startup, after the splash screen mentions something about installing plugins which never work. What should I do?

• 1. Re: Indesign CS5 Lion Start-up Crash
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Tell us exactly what the error message is, not "something about."

Are you trying to open a file at the same time you launch ID by double clicking the file or dropping it on the application icon?

• 2. Re: Indesign CS5 Lion Start-up Crash
            boJayDK Level 1

I've migrated from a Snow Leopard using the migration tool to a new Lion preinstalled machine. And I have the same problem. Both my CS5 and CS5.5 crashes on startup. Other Adobe CS-product work fine as far as I've testes - positivly photoshop and illustrator.

It crashes at the same time weather I open the program through a file or open the application directly from my HD (see screenshot)last step before crashing.jpg

My startup status-line init with "Initialising .."

Then "Loading the application .."

Then "Registering 233 plugins .."

Then "Saving object model .." (a fraction of a second)

Then the status line "Initializing plug-ins .."

and it crashes shortly theirafter (2 sec after) on my specific machine.

My CS5 crashes same way and same exact point in the startup procedure.

My hardware is 2.3ghz core i7 macBookPro with 8Gb 1333 Mhz DDR3 ram and a primary solid state HD with room the spare.

Any help is appreciated

• 3. Re: Indesign CS5 Lion Start-up Crash
              boJayDK Level 1

Oh - sorry I forgot the final crash-message from Finder .. se attached.

Screen Shot 2011-10-07 at 09.13.58.png

• 4. Re: Indesign CS5 Lion Start-up Crash
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

My guess is it's probably the SING plugin. For instructions on fixing that, see http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408816.html

Also see Guide to Interpreting InDesign Crash Reports | InDesignSecrets or post the entire crash report to PasteBin.com, then post a link here. Do NOT post the crash report here.

• 5. Re: Indesign CS5 Lion Start-up Crash
                  boJayDK Level 1

Thanks - solution 1 didn't work as my folder didn't contain a /datastore folder

But soultion (moving Mark II folder out) allowed my indesign 5 to open.

Thanks a lot!

• 6. Re: Indesign CS5 Lion Start-up Crash
                    ammacrae Level 1

Had a similar problem. Symptoms, Launch ID, startup screen shows plugins loading, Welcome screen appears blank and renders ID unresponsive.

Caused by /Applications/Adobe InDesign CS5/Plug Ins/PMPack/PMWelcomeScreen.InDesignPlugin and keychain

This issue was per user, I logged on as another user, ID launched ok

NOTE: resetting your Keychain will lose any passwords saved. Be sure to have them close to hand so that you can re enter when needed.

My solution in this case was to recreate my keychain.

open /Applications/Utility/Keychain access

under the keychain menu choose preferences

Select "Reset My Default Keychain"

Enter your current logon password.

It's a bit harsh but I didn't have the time to track down which keychain was causing the issue.

• 7. Re: Indesign CS5 Lion Start-up Crash
                      Joel Glovier Level 1

Had the same issue with InDesign CS5 on a Macbook that I just reinstalled the OS from and migrated all my data from my Mac Pro tower. Every time I'd open InDesign it crashed.

I saw that article, but didn't know if I should try step 2 (and same as yours, my machine doesn't have a /datastore dir in /SING) but I tried it after I read this thread.

That resolved my issue also. Must have something to do with migrating data from another machine.

• 8. Re: Indesign CS5 Lion Start-up Crash
                        vnfjdifcisl Level 1

I've got this problem too. I'm using CS5 with OS 10.7.2

Photoshop works fine, but InDesign crashes on startup ('InDesign quit unexpectedly' error message)

I've tried the fix of removing the /datastore and then the /Mark II folders from the SING folder. i even tried taking out the whole SING folder. No luck.

All my permissions are repaired and looking good.

This is a brand new problem, i can't understand it.

Here's my crash report: http://pastebin.com/yp8ZwRCe

Hopefully that link works ok.

Please help! I'm at the end of my tether and there's a deadline coming up sharpish.

• 9. Re: Indesign CS5 Lion Start-up Crash
                          John Hawkinson Level 5

See  Re: Indesign CS5 Lion startup crash continues ...

Next time please don't use two threads, starting the new thread (see link above) is the right thing to do.