6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2011 12:58 PM by wildwest63

So confused: Prem Elements 9.0 or the new 10.0, laptop with i7 processor or quadcore with XP Pro???

wildwest63

I bought a Panasoninc SD700 camcoder a year ago, knowing that the editing part was not solved then. Now there's enough video material to do something about it. And then the jungle expedition with possible mines starts!

Bought today a Sony VAIO laptop. Good price (I think). It has an i7 processor with 2,0 Ghz and 8 GB RAM. It had Premiere Elements 9.0 pre-installed. I played with it tonight but the imported AVCHD (mts) files from the SD-card lags when using the software! Isn't the processor power enough? This new laptop has a blu-ray-player installed and Windows 7 Premium, 64 bits.

I have also an older stand-alone PC with Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor, 2,4 Ghz, 3,25 GB RAM, run with XP Professional Service pack 3. This computer does not have a blu-ray-burner. I heard, though, that they can be purchased and connected with USB.

So what do I do? Buy another Prem Elements 9.0 for the standalone pc and hope that the editing works there? Wait for Prem Elements 10.0 and install it - where, which computer if at all? Upgrade the laptop processor to something better - but what, does i7 have dual core?

Can't you just make a video on your pc without burning anything and then play it from there connected with HDMI to the HDTV?

Help! I don't know what to do!

Wildwest63

• 1. Re: So confused: Prem Elements 9.0 or the new 10.0, laptop with i7 processor or quadcore with XP Pro???
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's really not nearly as complicated as you think it is, wildwest.

For one thing, version 10 would run on both computers. (You can have one copy of the program on up to two computers, presuming you own them both.) So you can have it both ways. Though I assume you'll soon transition all your work to the VAIO, since version 10 will make much more effective use of its 64-bit architecture.

As for your camcorder, it will interface best with the program if you shoot all of your video in 1920x1080 60i (NOT 60p) and then set up your Premiere Elements project to work with Full AVCHD 1920x1080. If you use the proper project settings for your Premiere Elements project and the 64-bit version of the program, you should have no problems running it on an i7 Windows 7 64-bit machine! (Sony VAIOs have other liabilities -- but if you're not experiencing them, there's no point in even mentioning them.)

You don't say if the BluRay player on your VAIO is also a BluRay burner but, if it is, it is the best way to share your hi-def movies to your BluRay player and HDTV.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: So confused: Prem Elements 9.0 or the new 10.0, laptop with i7 processor or quadcore with XP Pro???
            wildwest63 Level 1

Thanks a lot Steve! I feel a bit calmer. When browsing through different forums you easily get worried, because it seems nobody knows for sure.

Just to make sure: the Premiere version 9.0 that was installed on the VAIO couldn't produce a steady flow when the AVCHD-files ran thru. But you mean version 10.0 will manage? Has version 10.0 capabilities that version 9.0 didn't have? I have no problem buying version 10.0 but I cannot buy and test and find out that it didn't work again. That's getting too expensive.

I am not shooting in 60p with the camcorder. I read that it was hardly possible to see a difference between 60i and 60p and 60p takes twice the space. I also heard that there was no program out there managing to edit 60p. Even 60i on the new flat-tv screen (from Sony) is such an awesome improvement from my old camcorder (DV tape) back in 2004, that everybody is amazed, even guys that are normally very technically skilled - which I am not.

According to the sales guy the VAIO has no blu-ray burner, just a blu-ray player. But I suppose it has some kind of burner anyway? Haven't checked that out. The stand-alone pc has no blu-ray burner. But is it an option worth trying to buy a blu-ray burner and connect with a USB-cable to either machine? When the blu-ray disc is ready I can put it into the VAIO and connect to the HDTV and show the movie. I have no use for an ordinary blu-ray-player.

If this workflow is okay will I then get the same result on the tv screen as I get today when connecting the camcorder directly to the HDTV with a HDMI-cable? No loss of quality?

• 3. Re: So confused: Prem Elements 9.0 or the new 10.0, laptop with i7 processor or quadcore with XP Pro???

The engine for working with AVCHD footage is much improved in version 10. Especially if you are using Windows 7 64-bit. Just make sure that your project is set up properly to match your source video footage! (And I'm glad to hear you're shooting in 60i rather than 60p.)

It's possible your laptop has a DVD burner but only a BluRay player. But, as you've speculated, you should be able to get a USB-connected BluRay player that will output your projects in a hi-def format.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: So confused: Prem Elements 9.0 or the new 10.0, laptop with i7 processor or quadcore with XP Pro???
                wildwest63 Level 1

Thanks again, Steve! Okay, so I take your word that the version 10.0 will solve my problems. Looking forward to get it, I don't know when it will show up in my country (Sweden), probably not as fast as in the US.

Just bothering you with one more question as you brought it up yourself: 60p footage, is that still such a problem? Or does it require too much space for the difference in results compared to 60i? Is anyone shooting 60p? I sure have a half-hidden button on the camcorder for 60p filming. I have never tried it out. I am not such a technical guy who finds it interesting testing all different gadgets, that's probably the reason. I'm happy the 60i result renders such a good quality and I was satisfied with it.

• 5. Re: So confused: Prem Elements 9.0 or the new 10.0, laptop with i7 processor or quadcore with XP Pro???

60p (or 50p in Europe) is supposed to be better for capturing action, since it has twice as many complete frames as 60i (or 50i). Unfortunately, that also makes it incompatible with most video editors -- which will down-step it to 30 frames per second anyway.

Your TV doesn't play 60p. You can't play 60p online over sites like YouTube or FaceBook. So whatever benefits it offers are outweighed by its liabilities, in my not so humble opinion.

• 6. Re: So confused: Prem Elements 9.0 or the new 10.0, laptop with i7 processor or quadcore with XP Pro???
                    wildwest63 Level 1

You made me aware of something! I checked all my screens tonight and you're right, on all of them it says Full HD 1080p. I've interpreted that as 1080p/60 (or 50 over here). But it isn't. It's actually 1080p/30 (or 25)... I'm not filming action in that sense, although my nieces and nephews cause very much action, so 60p is not anything I will use and the difference I cannot even see as the tv screen would show this as 30p.

I look forward to the release of Elements 10.0.