8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2011 5:28 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Prores support in Premiere on MAC

lewisfilms Level 1

(I am, as per usual, confused.)

A few Qs:

1)   I've read vague reports regarding prores support in Premiere.  When I say support, I am mean being able to READ(decode) and WRITE(encode) any of the Prores flavors (Proxy, LT, 422, 422HQ and 4444).  I have a Mac Pro with nothing but a clean install of 10.7 Lion and Adobe Production Premium CS5.5 on it.  What do I need to install for read/write Prores support?  I THINK I need to download just Motion or Compressor from the Mac App store to have access to all the Prores flavors. (encode & decode)  Is that correct?  Or is there a free option?

2)    If I download Motion for example, will I then see the prores codecs as an option in the Premiere export dialog or in Adobe Media Encoder as an export option?  I ask this because i would like to be able to transcode DSLR H.264 footage, GoPro footage and Logitech webcam footage into a standardized intermediate codec (Prores LT)  for my project.

3)    I am still confused about what the render situation is when editing Prores footage in Premiere.  Will the following chain of events take place?  I download/install Motion THEN > I import prores files into Premiere THEN > I drag one of these prores files onto the Create New Sequence button to create a sequence  THEN > I can edit and the sequence will NOT require rendering (no colored render bar) because the sequence should match the media settings?  Is this correct?

I hope I have articulated my questions well. 

With respect and admiration,

El Steverino

• 1. Re: Prores support in Premiere on MAC
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Why don't you forget Prores altogether? PR edits your material natively without transcoding to another format. Prores is a by-product of FCP, a concoction that is necessary to run that 32 bit application on MAC's.

There is no better material to edit than the original source material, without transcoding or other convoluted steps.

• 2. Re: Prores support in Premiere on MAC
            BillR1971

What happens when you get a job come in the door for which ProRes is its native format, though? It can happen. Some people are shooting with ProRes field recorders, other projects use ProRes as the intermediate working codec, since it's understood by a wide variety of apps beyond just Final Cut Studio. Using a single standardised codec is still the way many pro editors like to work, for various reasons.

• 3. Re: Prores support in Premiere on MAC
              lasvideo Level 4

Pay no attention to that voice behind the custom built super editing computer  (with apologies to Harm and the Wizard of Oz)

Dont forget about Prores, its a widely accepted standard in the professional video industry  (ArrI / AJA / SMPTE for example) that does wonderful clean compression. You are right. If you just buy Motion for $50 you will get the Prores codecs that can decode and encode in your Adobe applications. The way to take advantage of Premieres workflow is to just import your clip(s) and create a timeline based on the clip (Create  Sequence from Clip) and select Prores as your ouput option when you Export. This is one of several differences between how PrP differs from FCP. Educate yourself about these differences with this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Editors-Guide-Adobe-Premiere-Pro/dp/0321773012

You will be glad you did.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Prores support in Premiere on MAC
                lewisfilms Level 1

Harm Millaard wrote:

There is no better material to edit than the original source material, without transcoding or other convoluted steps.

Harm,

I thought by transcoding to an intermediate codec I would bypass the yellow render bar.  When you just drop DSLR files into a timeline, without transcoding, don't you get a yellow bar which means the system isn't playing back in realtime?  (or performing as smoothly)

• 5. Re: Prores support in Premiere on MAC
                  lewisfilms Level 1

lasvideo wrote:

The way to take advantage of Premieres workflow is to just import your clip(s) and create a timeline based on the clip (Create  Sequence from Clip) and select Prores as your ouput option when you Export.

Can you tell me if you get a yellow render bar when you drop a Prores file into a new sequence.  It should be grey, no?  (no render bar at all)

I'm having a hard time understanding if it will do realtime, full resolution playback. 

Thanks

• 6. Re: Prores support in Premiere on MAC
                    lasvideo Level 4

The render bars dont mean what they do in FCP.

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/red-yellow-and-green-render-bars.html

You do not need to transcode, unless you have an underpowered computer. I can play them on the timeline at full speed if I change the Program Monitor resolution to half resolution.

You really need to get the book I mentioned since there is A LOT different between FCP and PrP. If you dont educate yourself about the differences, its going to be a very frustrating transition. Best of luck!

Tom Daigon

Avid DS / PrP / After Effects Editor

www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Mac Pro 3,1

2 x 3.2 ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon

Nvidia Quadro 4000

24 gigs ram

Kona 3

Maxx Digita / Areca 8tb. raid

• 7. Re: Prores support in Premiere on MAC
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I recommend reading the document that Tom pointed to about the render bar colors. The important thing to note is this bit:

OK, so now about those colored render bars…

With that preparatory definition out of the way, what do the colored bars mean?

• green: This segment of the sequence has a rendered preview file associated with it. Playback will play using the rendered preview file. Playback at full quality is certain to be in real time.
                      • yellow: This segment of the sequence does not have a rendered preview file associated with it. Playback will play by rendering each frame just before the CTI reaches it. Playback at full quality will probably be in real time (but it might not be).
                      • red: This segment of the sequence does not have a rendered preview file associated with it. Playback will play by rendering each frame just before the CTI reaches it. Playback at full quality will probably not be in real time (but it might be).
                      • none: This segment of the sequence does not have a rendered preview file associated with it, but the codec of the source media is simple enough that it can essentially be treated as its own preview file. Playback will play directly from the original source media file. Playback at full quality is certain to be in real time. This only occurs for a few codecs (including DV and DVCPRO).

Note the uses of the word probably above. The colors aren’t a promise. They’re a guess based on some rather simple criteria. If you have a fast computer, then a lot of things marked with red may play back in real time; if you have a slow computer, then some things marked with yellow may need to be rendered to preview files before the segment can be played in real time.

• 8. Re: Prores support in Premiere on MAC
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I also second Tom's recommendation of the Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro book.

Here are some other resources to help you learn Premiere Pro if you know FCP.