6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2011 6:13 PM by teddykrisseth

Adobe 10  - can't open clips

teddykrisseth

I just installed 64 bit Adobe Premiere Elements 10 on my Dell XPS 9000 64 bit computer with Windows 7 and 12 GB of memory and 1.5 TB of disk.  I loaded a DVD+RW finalized disc made with a Sony Handycam that had a 466 MB video into the DVD drive.  The video had 9 clips and was about 10 minutes in length.  I created a new Project and  "got media"  from my PC DVD Drive. What appeared in the Project were page 2/2 of the clip "menu" with 3 clips on it and one clip one minute in length.  The one minute clip is actually comprised of of the first 3 clips on the DVD.  When I click on properties, the "menu" size is 192 KB and the clip size is 466 MB.  When I opened it in the clip monitor the 3 clips play for  one minute.  No more clips play and there are no more clips in the Project.  How can I get the 9 clips to appear separately in the Project?

• 1. Re: Adobe 10  - can't open clips
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When you started your Premiere Elements project, did you select the project settings for a Hard Disk/DVD Camcorder? This is very important to do as it activates components that will support your video.

Also ensure that you have the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's requirements.

When your video is added from your DVD to a properly set up project, the program will take a few minutes to conform the video. (You can watch the progress in the lower right corner of the interface.) You must let the program fully conform your video before it will be editable.

BTW, 466 mb of video is only about a minute or so of video. Are you sure you're getting the MPG/VOB files?

• 2. Re: Adobe 10  - can't open clips
            teddykrisseth Level 1

Thank you for your reply.

The default project settings that I used were" NTSC-Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorders-Standard 48kHz".

I did not have Quicktime installed so I downloaded Quicktime Version 7.7 (it says 32 bit in the Control Panel) and restarted the PC.

I deleted the previous media from my PC, loaded the DVD into the drive, and got the media.

I did not see the video conforming in the lower right hand corner.  Maybe it is not confrorming?

The results were the same as before.

When I play the DVD on the PC, it plays from beginning to end without a problem.

When I look at the file type of the media they are VOB files.

• 3. Re: Adobe 10  - can't open clips

What happens when you play the video you downloaded from your camcorder with a media player?

As I say, your file sizes are awful small for video. They can't be more than a few minutes in length at 500 megs in size.

• 4. Re: Adobe 10  - can't open clips
                teddykrisseth Level 1

I played the downloaded files with Windows Media Player from beginning to end in about 10 minutes without a problem.

The DVD from which the files were downloaded is 1.4 GB with 30 minutes of recording time.  466 MB is about 1/3 the disc or about 10 minutes.

• 5. Re: Adobe 10  - can't open clips

I have no idea why the program is not importing and conforming your files then, Teddy. I think you'll need to contact Adobe Tech Support.

• 6. Re: Adobe 10  - can't open clips
                    teddykrisseth Level 1

Thank you.  I guess I'll have to do that