2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2011 9:56 AM by ewholz-mac

match keyframes when pasting path

ewholz-mac

Hello All,

I am trying to figure out how to copy a path (mask) from a layer with a stroke.  The stroke follows the path.

I have two paths on one layer. I apply a stroke to one of the layers using a path, then move the stroke via the "end" stopwatch, and use percent complete.

I have two paths on the layer, they are sequential.

On a layer above the layer with the paths (masks) and stroke, I have a small blue ball that

I want to follow the paths I have created, and move in sync with the stroke.

I copy the path(s) keyframes to the blue ball position, but the position of the ball

does not match the position of the stroke, at least in terms of timing. I would like the stroke and ball to move

at the same speed and position, like the "ball" is writing the white stroke.

I am stumped on how to get this to work - I think it has to do with temporal keyframes vs. position keyframes.

any ideas on this?

Thanks,

eholz1 (eric)

Final Cut Pro, Adobe After Effects, Photoshop

• 1. Re: match keyframes when pasting path
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If timing is your only problem just open up the position property and look at the keyframes. There should be a diamond shaped keyframe at each end with a bunch of little round keyframes in between. The in-between keyframes are set to rove over time. All you have to do is to drag the far left keyframe out to where it matches the ending keyframe of your stroke. Things should match up perfectly.

If you need to vary the speed of the stroke you'll have to adjust the position of the little round keyframes in position so they match up. This changes the keyframes that you move and it takes a bit of trial and error.

• 2. Re: match keyframes when pasting path
            ewholz-mac Level 1

Hello Rick,

Thanks for the reply.  I am pretty familiar with Apple Motion, and the learning curve for After Effects (for more challenging things)

is taking me a while.

Thanks,

eric