Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AIR 3 ios app not muted by iPhone physical mute switch

Participant ,
Oct 03, 2011 Oct 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey

my app keeps playing sounds even when the iPhone 3g's physical mute button is switched

is that a bug?

Saar

TOPICS
Performance issues

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Saar,

The "Mute" switch is actually for system alerts and notifications, not the overall system volume.

If a user expressly asks for a function that involves sound (like a movie or listening to music) the mute does not affect those apps.

But while watching the movie, with the Mute switch on, you will not get system notifications to interrupt the sound, like when you get a new E-mail.

The overall system volume has not been changed and is still controlled with the volume toggle buttons.

Hope this helps!

-Lisa Chao

Adobe Flash Runtime team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey Lisa

thanx 4 the answer

i understand that this is not a bug but intended but Adobe should pay attention to implementing smooth user interface - check out Angry Birds for instance and you will see (or actually hear) that the mute switch mutes the app, just as it's software button does also.

all other games i have on my iPhone act the same way

i think Adobe should at least give the option, by actionscript,  to mute the overall sound with the switch.

while you are right about movies being played, games should be muted. that is what the regular ios user expects

thanx again

Saar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sariko:

You can achieve this by using native extensions.You can use the simple code given at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5560555/avaudiosession-category-not-working-as-documentation-dict... this will return bool value stating the state of the mute switch and then your app may decide to play sounds or stop them. You can google for Sample iOS native extensions to get started.

Little More Explaination:

The iOS gives the app an opprtunity to state the kind of Audio that is being played. (Music, Ambient Audio like game sounds and many more) and then based on this category iOS defines Audio Behaviours like if it can be mixed with other sounds, wheather mute switch is respected etc. This behaviour is very specific to iOS which may not be found on other Mobile Platforms(not sure though).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2011 Oct 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to. flash team.

i don't think so.

this is a critical problem.

think again please.

(sorry to my poor english)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2011 Oct 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

my store guests are angry on ios.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines