8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2013 1:01 PM by Jim A Ross

Pre10 Modifies Unedited Source Files

Robert J. Johnston Level 2

OOPS

I just noticed that Premiere Elements 10 is modifying the "unedited" source video files which in turn causes the Windows operating system to change the "date modified" file attribute. That "date modified" file attribute is suppose to contain the date I took the video. Now I don't know when those videos were taken.

The source files are modified sometime when they are imported for the first time into Premiere Elements. Probably Premiere Elements is adding some metadata.

• 1. Re: Pre10 Modifies Unedited Source Files
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That's interesting, Robert!

Any idea if a program like DV Date can restore the original time/date metadata?

• 2. Re: Pre10 Modifies Unedited Source Files
            rdnelson Level 2

There are certain file types which PrE will modify when importing into a project or Organizer.  The program does append the original date and type to meta data at the end of the file.  The Organizer should show the original date and time or you can view this information with a binary file viewer.

Set the read-only attribute to prevent the Organizer from touching the files in the future.

• 3. Re: Pre10 Modifies Unedited Source Files

I think I'll be skipping the upgrade to Premiere Elements 10.

• 4. Re: Pre10 Modifies Unedited Source Files
                VDOSurfer Level 3

Are there any specific types of files for which this happens? Just to know so I can specifically change the folder attributes to Read-Only.. I have not noticed this, so I think my camera files do not undergo this change. I have MTS in my current use case.

• 5. Re: Pre10 Modifies Unedited Source Files
                  rdnelson Level 2

I don't know the specific file types that this will occur on but it is probably anything which allows meta-data to be added as part of the specification.  I have not seen any difference in behavior between PrE 9 and PrE 10 on how the Organizer handles this.  In otherwords, PrE 9 has the same behavior for the limited file types I have tried.

I have M2T files which does not allow meta-data to be added.  In this case, the Organizer will instead create another file in the same directory with the suffix .xmp to store the meta-data.

Setting the read only attribute on a file which allows meta-data will prevent the Organizer from adding the meta-data and changing the file date.  The organizer will create a .xmp file with the same file name prefix in the same directory of the media which will instead hold this meta-data just like what happens if the file specification does not allow meta-data.

Setting the read-only attribute on the directory will prevent the Organizer from adding anything to the file and the directory.  PrE seems to work just fine with at least M2T files.

I prevent writes to the directory to prevent myself (or my kids) from deleting the media by mistake.  I actually have all my media on a Ubuntu server and have enabled Samba to export the content such that it isn't writable.  But I have confirmed that you can do the same thing in Windows by changing the security settings.

• 6. Re: Pre10 Modifies Unedited Source Files
                    Amit Kumar Gupta Adobe Employee

Hi Robert, which is the type of file you were using? Check if this happens with other file formats also

• 7. Re: Pre10 Modifies Unedited Source Files

Full Throttle 1, they were hi-def .mp4 files from a Kodak Playtouch videocamera. They are avc/h.264 video and AAC audio. I had to put them on the timeline and then save the project and exit. Didn't happen with .MOV or .JPG.

• 8. Re: Pre10 Modifies Unedited Source Files
                        Jim A Ross

Premiere CS6 does this as well. Everytime I open a project it then changes the dates of all the files within the project. "I do not like this, Sam I am." Now I cannot keep track of what I shot when for the dates keep changing!