3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2011 8:24 AM by Dave LaRonde

Animating image sequences

TheJimReaper

Hi guys and girls,

I'm a complete noob to AE and so have very little knowledge of what I need to do.  I'm sure the info is out there, and I've tried going through the help sections but when I do a search all I seem to get is info on adding layers and I don't think that's what I want!

What I have and need help with is putting several image sequences together, and then adding individual images in between each sequence (if that makes sense).

I rendered out an animation from Cinema 4D in groups of .tiff image sequences, I did it in groups as I have individual images with text on them that I want add  in between each group.  Each of the 10 groups of image sequences run at 30 fps and has anything from 100 - 250 frames totalling 1925 frames.  The images in the groups are numbered sequentially so if need be I could put all the images into one folder and open them all in one go, I just thought it would be easier for placing the individual images if they were broken up into groups.  The individual images that I need to add in between each group need to be visable for several seconds, just long enough for someone to read them.

So my questions are, 1 - How do I connect all the groups together?  2 - How do I insert the individual images? and 3 - How do I get those individual images to stay visible long enough for people to read the text?

I may need to add some sound to the animation at some point as well, but that's not definate yet!

I think that's everything (I hope!)  Any help would be very much appreciated

Cheers

Jim

• 1. Re: Animating image sequences
          bogiesan Level 4

Not knowing exactly what you production looks like, I think you are confusing Adobe After Effecs with Adobe Premiere. Assembly and editing are done in Premiere. After Effects is you effects and compositing platform. You add sound, extend scenes, intercut, move, and trim your video clips in Premiere.

bogiesan

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Animating image sequences
            TheJimReaper Level 1

Thanks bogiesan,

Sound like I have got them mixed up.  I've always done everything in cinema and left it at that.  I've only just started to take things 'To the next level' by adding extra bits in in photoshop and such.  I'd heard alot about people doing alot of extra work in AE and assumed that's what I needed.

I'll go have a play in Premiere and see what I can do.

Thanks for your help

Jim

• 3. Re: Animating image sequences
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

So my questions are, 1 - How do I connect all the groups together?  2 - How do I insert the individual images? and 3 - How do I get those individual images to stay visible long enough for people to read the text?

As Bogesian says, this may be best done in Premiere or another editing application.  If you do it in AE, you can import the image sequences as single pieces of footage, and the individual images as individual images.  Then you add the footage to an AE comp: the easiest way is to add the first image sequnce to the make comp icon at the bottom of the project window, let AE make the comp, and then change the comp's duration in the comp settings.  You then add the footage items to the comp, moving them as needed along the timeline.  You can trim the out points of the single images to the duration you want. 

But there could be a more fundamental problem: 30 fps is VERY RARELY a valid frame rate, especially if it's going to video, Blu-Ray or DVD:  the proper frame rate is almost always 29.97.  If it's goes to the web ONLY -- no possible chance of ever going to video, Blu-Ray or DVD -- 30 would be okay.  You need to double-check your frame rates.

And here are the tips on importing images or image sequences:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906c6dea-7f78 a.html