7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2011 10:13 AM by pong35@hotmail.com

Video file Works on Elements 2.0 but not on Elements 9.0

pong35@hotmail.com

HI all,

I got a video file that is in an AVI container and having "MS MPEG-4 v3" as it's codec.

This file works on my Pre Elements 2.0 load at Windows XP home, single core 2.7 Ghz. I could edit it and play it.

But when using the same file on Pre Elements 9.0 that is loaded at an Imac OS Lion quad core i5, 2.7 Ghz it won't work. It is showing an error of "Codec missing".

Are there fix that you guys could show me? All help is greatly appreciated.

SIncerely,

Mike

• 1. Re: Video file Works on Elements 2.0 but not on Elements 9.0
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below

For Mac http://mediainfo.massanti.com/

Once you provide details, someone may be able to help

Also, if that is an H.264 inside the AVI you will need to convert http://forums.adobe.com/thread/854115?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Video file Works on Elements 2.0 but not on Elements 9.0
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This is a very non-standard video format and may not be supported by the program. In fact, I'm actually suprised to hear you can even work with in with version 2.

Most likely your XP machine somehow has this codec installed on it -- possibly by some software you've installed on it. Your Mac apparently does not have this codec installed on it.

What model of camcorder did this video come from?

• 3. Re: Video file Works on Elements 2.0 but not on Elements 9.0
              pong35@hotmail.com Level 1

Hi John,

I have the software that you've shown me and that's where I got my info written above, I'll tyr to get a pix of it and paste it here.

I'll try the suggestion on the thread that you have me and I will return back to you.

Sincerely,

Mike

• 4. Re: Video file Works on Elements 2.0 but not on Elements 9.0

Hi Steve,

I'm also puzzle about Pre El. 2.0 could edit it. My gut is telling me that because I've used a VHS to dvd (but encoded it to AVI for editing) hardware and software that there's a codec installed and PRE El. 2.0 is also using it to read and edit the video.

I'll try to look deeper into it and look at the codec files of the software i've used for converting the VHS to DVD. I'll get back to you soon.

SIncerely,

Mike

• 5. Re: Video file Works on Elements 2.0 but not on Elements 9.0
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

When a Video file works on one machine, but not on another, irrespective of the version of PrE, the usual cause is that one machine has the proper CODEC installed (CODEC's usually install at the system level), and the other does not.

In the cited case, the CODEC is from MicroSoft (MS), so it is very likely installed on your PC, but not on your Mac.

I am not familiar with that particular CODEC (there are probably 10,000 different ones, including the variations), but that "MS" leads me to believe that it is available from MicroSoft. If it is a X-platform CODEC, then there should be a Mac version available. Note: many CODEC's are platform-specific, and if there is not a Mac version (or a PC version for some Mac CODEC's), one is out of luck. That is a very big reason that one should use X-platform CODEC's, whenever possible.

As an example, I am exclusively on PC's, but work with a lot of Video, that was created on a Mac. I always ask for those files in the MOV - Animation CODEC, and they work fine on my PC's. However, there are many Mac-only CODEC's (especially the "intermediate" CODEC's used in Final Cut Pro, iMovie, etc.), that will never work on my PC's, as there is ONLY a Mac version of them. The same holds true for some PC-only CODEC's - there is no Mac version.

For more background on CODEC's, in general, see this ARTICLE.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Video file Works on Elements 2.0 but not on Elements 9.0
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm also puzzle about Pre El. 2.0 could edit it.

This is not related to PrE versions, but to the OS's on the two computers, and the CODEC's, that are installed on each.

If possible, install that CODEC on your Mac, and all should be fine.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Video file Works on Elements 2.0 but not on Elements 9.0

Hi Bill,

You are right.... It took me a while in researching.... In Windows OS the codec used is Microsoft creation and obiously didn't work on Mac OS.

Then I've found the Perian 1.2.3 and installed it at my imac.. the Pre El. 9 was able to view the video but no sound....

But from my research, the Perian, QTX with Lion has a long list of bug problems. I'm almost there, but I guess I have to wait for Perian to fix some bugs.

Thank you all.

Mike