6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2011 10:32 AM by eadg77

Missing Plugins? Please help

eadg77

I'm trying to open a CS3 InDesign file and all I get is this error message:

"cannot open "filename". Please upgrade your plug-ins to their latest version, or upgrade to the latest version of Indesign. " followed by a long, long, list of plug-ins.

• 1. Re: Missing Plugins? Please help
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

That's the message you get when trying to open a file saved in a newer version than the one you are using to open it. Your computer has no way of knowing about newer versions and will label anything it sees with the icon o fht elast version installed on Mac, or the newest version installed on PC.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Missing Plugins? Please help
            eadg77 Level 1

Hi Peter,

Is there anything I can do to convert it back to CS3? Its all of my work from the past 4 years..!! It must be because my hardrive was corrupted so I had to install the trail of CS5 util I could find a way to deactivate the Creative suite so that I could re-install it on my Mac.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Missing Plugins? Please help

The only way to get from CS5 to CS3 is to export from CS5 to .idml, open that in CS4 and export to .inx, and open that in CS3. New features that you might have used will be stripped out, and text may reflow changing line endings.

For one or two files, there are plenty of us who would do the conversion right here, but it sounds like you have dozens, and we all just volunteer in our spare time. Honestly, if you can afford it, you should upgrade to CS5.5 and take advantage of the new features.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Missing Plugins? Please help
                eadg77 Level 1

Thanks Peter. Yes, it's quite a few files. Very annoying.. if only I'd known! There are 2 files in particular that I really really need to be able to use, so if you could convert them for me I'd be very very very grateful (Then at least I won't panic so much and I can save up for the CS5.5). But if you are busy, I understand.

Thanks for your help, and let me know.

• 5. Re: Missing Plugins? Please help

Check your email for a Private Mesage notification. I've sent you a link to my drop box.

• 6. Re: Missing Plugins? Please help
                    eadg77 Level 1

Thanks Peter.