11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2011 3:36 AM by VDOSurfer

Mouse (cursor) not working on some dialog windows

mattcar55

I am trying to figure out how to make my mouse work on some dialog windows.

no mouse click.jpg

For instance, on the above dialog window, I cannot click Yes, No or Cancel. I have to TAB until the proper button is highlighted, and then press Enter.

This happens on several dialog windows in premiere elements 9.

Any Idea on how to make it "click"?

• 1. Re: Mouse (cursor) not working on some dialog windows
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you using the 64-bit version of Windows 7? If so, did it come installed on your system or did you upgrade to it? And is your mouse the original mouse that came with the computer?

The reason I ask is that not all 32-bit drivers interface with Windows 7 64-bit.

Try going to your mouse manufacturer's web site and seeing if there is an update for your mouse's firmware or drivers.

The problem is with your drivers. It's not a problem with Premiere Elements.

• 2. Re: Mouse (cursor) not working on some dialog windows
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

When dialog boxes are not working, the first thing that I would look into would be the video driver. Go to the mfgr's. Web site, plug in your video card's model and your OS, and check whether there is a new video driver available.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - if you have a Dell, or HP, I would start with their sites first.

• 3. Re: Mouse (cursor) not working on some dialog windows
              mattcar55 Level 1

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that Adobe Primiere elements 9 is the only application this happens to.

It's not a general windows problem, just this.

But I will try to find my mouse 64 bit drivers.

• 4. Re: Mouse (cursor) not working on some dialog windows
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The reason that I mentioned the video drivers is that PrE, unlike most other programs, interfaces with that driver much more closely. When I see a GUI issue in an Adobe program, the video driver is the first thing that I try to eliminate.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Mouse (cursor) not working on some dialog windows
                  mattcar55 Level 1

Well, I updated my video driver, and it didn't help. My video card is a "ATI Radeon HD 5670 Graphics". I ran the update on this (with the Win7-64 bit option). No luck getting the cursor to play nice in Premiere Elements 9.

Any other ideas?

• 6. Re: Mouse (cursor) not working on some dialog windows
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What company makes your mouse? They'd be the ones to get your new mouse driver from. (The default Windows drivers aren't working apparently.) As Bill says, if your computer is a Dell or HP, check their sites first for driver updates.

Likewise, to get the latest updates for your graphics card, you need to go to the ATI site.

• 7. Re: Mouse (cursor) not working on some dialog windows
                      mattcar55 Level 1

The mouse and keyboard are a logitech "wave" combo. I updated that, too. No Luck.

Are there any registry settings that I should look at?

• 8. Re: Mouse (cursor) not working on some dialog windows
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

This goes way back, but I had several issues with Logitech's SetPoint software, and instead changed the driver to the Generic MS one for the mouse (which I loved - though I hated the keyboard and replaced it with a great, old USB one). All of my various problems cleared up, and I lost but a tiny bit of functionality. Not sure what Logitech is doing now, but back then, there were serious issues with SetPoint.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Mouse (cursor) not working on some dialog windows
                          VDOSurfer Level 3

Could you change the desktop resolution to another one, even if it is not the suggested resolution, and then try? Or you could try what Dell customer support agents has been suggesting for ages for ALL issues.. Unplug and reinsert the mouse and see if that helps... (Sorry).

• 10. Re: Mouse (cursor) not working on some dialog windows
                            thedogs2

This problem appears to be at the graphics-mouse interface and the reason may differ with different setups. I am using Windows 7 64 bit with a Dell 8300 XPS computer, an AMD Radeon 6450 Graphics Board and a Dell E207WFP monitor. The monitor is connected to the Digital Port. I had exactly the same problem listed: unable to insert freeze frame because mouse would not function with options, and this also occurred when trying to save, where the mouse would not save or cancel options. My computer was set up with less than maximum resolution and the print size was enlarged to 150 % because that was best for display purposes for Internet and Word Processing use. I upgraded the graphics drivers but that did not solve the problem and the mouse drivers were current.

By chance, I changed the resolution to its maximum 1680 x 1050 and decreased the print size to 125 % (medium) and everything in Adobe Premiere Elements 9 worked fine: all buttons in various pull down menus and functions are now active. It does make some of the print size smaller than I like, but it is easily useable, and can be changed back for other uses. It seems likely that you could find some combination like this that works. I do not know enough about the mouse/screen/print resolution interaction to give a 'computer technology' explanation but I am sure a computer expert will understand why it happens.

• 11. Re: Mouse (cursor) not working on some dialog windows
                              VDOSurfer Level 3

Bingo! I do not think that Adobe Premiere Elements supports High DPI resolutions. At least they have not 'Tom tom'ed about it, they'd have if they did support. Let's keep the dpi to the default. You can make this a feature request and send it to Adobe.

Anyone else aware of the high-dpi support in PrE?