2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2011 9:57 AM by jfb00

Help with clean string validator

jfb00 Level 3

Hi,

I have a custom funtion for form validation at the time of submit.

If i submit more than once, the red tag displaying the error show multiple times.

I try to reset errorString on the component but still display the error multiple times.

In the stringValidator i found a property as array "errorArray=[]", it collects the error.

I am creating a new string validator every time i call the function as: var sv:StringValidator = new StringValidator() i don't know why is not deleting the array.

It is a way to reset this array?

I try to do a reference as sv.source.errorArray, but every time I got an error:

Property errorArray not found on mx.controls.TextInput and there is no default value.

Please help.

Johnny

• 1. Re: Help with clean string validator
          Filmzaddict

I cant tell whats wrong, but I usually avoid using the Form component and create a custom component serving as a form. Lets assume there are a bunch of controls on it, a submit button, and label with an id "warning". Then inside the click handler for submit button you can do something like this:

private function submitClickHandler(e:MouseEvent):void

{

if (validate())

{

//do something after everything had been validated

}

}

private function validate():Boolean

{

var result:Boolean = true;  //lets asume everything is okay

//now validate every control as you see fit:

if (someLabel.Text == "")

{

result = false;

warning.text = "* Please fill out someLabel";

}

if (result == true)

warning.text = "";

return result;

}

• 2. Re: Help with clean string validator
            jfb00 Level 3

Thanks for you reply and help.

I have the same logic but I like how flex can show a message in the component an highlight in red. Also i do this not only for text, i do it for combo and other components.

What I do is instead of the if (someLabel.Text == "") i do check with a custom function if (myCustomFunction(someText,"", 0) == false){result= false;};

I found a temporary way, just add the error message after is coming back from the custom function but I would like to take care this in the function.

Rgds

Johnny