9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2011 12:15 AM by Ankit_Jain RSS

An Internal Error Occured (ADOBE READER X)

JOEMAMMAISFAT

I have WINDOWS 7 64-bit....computer was working fine...now I can no longer open any .pdf files...I don't want to pay ADOBE $39 for something that I should be able to use for free.

I tried installing and re-installing ADOBE READER X with no luck with a restart in between...NO LUCK.

I do not have any viruses on my computer.

I am running a computer with a ton of memory...8G... Direct X11, Intel Core i7.....

This is a big pain in the @$$!  I need this for work!

What can I do?

I haven't tried restoring my computer to an earlier version as there is some issues with that and I don't want to lose information.

PLEASE ADVISE!

-Joe Mamma I.F.

• 1. Re: An Internal Error Occured (ADOBE READER X)
          Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Could you please try and repair Adobe Reader on your system. You can do the same by:

1. Launching Control Panel and clicking on Programs and Features.

2. Find the entry for Adobe Reader X and right click and chose "Change"

3. Follow the instructions to Repair your installation and restart if necessary.

Hopefully this should fix things.

Ankit

• 2. Re: An Internal Error Occured (ADOBE READER X)
            ECSSysDes

Ankit,

I, too, am having the issue with Windows 7 and Acrobat X.  I, however, have Acrobat X and not merely the reader.  The hanging of the document with the message "An internal error occured" happens whenever I am accessing multiple-page documents over the network.  I have attempted to repair the installation, but received the same error message.  Any suggestions?  Thank you.

• 3. Re: An Internal Error Occured (ADOBE READER X)
              ptomas00

I am also having problems with Adobe Reader 10.1.1: each time I open AcroReader, I get a message saying:

"file BIB.dll is missing. Try to reinstall again".

I try to unistall it from the Control Panel\Programmes and features, and the new error message is

"Error 1317: An error occured when trying to create file C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Resource".

When I cancel the installation process, the eror mesage is:

"Error 2230. Error getting file attribute C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Resource\Linguistics\Providers\Proximity\11.00. GetLastError: 1392" and the the installer stops.

With Windows Explorer (Windws 7 SP1) I try to access the file C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Resources and the message is:

"The file is damaged or it is illegible".

I am using Windwos 7 SP1 32bit and never had a problem before with AcroReader.

Do you know how to get around this unistall problem?

Otherwise the only solution will be to will move to another PDF reader, such as NitroPDFReader (www.nitroreader.com), which is free and allows even to do some editing to PDF files.

Thanks

Pere

• 4. Re: An Internal Error Occured (ADOBE READER X)

Hi,

Could you please try and reset the permissions on the "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\" folder.

You can do the same by:

1. Right-click the folder, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu.
                2. On the Security tab, click Permissions.
                3. Select the Administrators group, and then click Full Control in the Type of Access list.
                4. Select the SYSTEM group, and then click Full Control in the Type of Access list
                5. Click on the Advanced button and check the "Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects" checkbox.
                6. Click OK.
                7. Click OK in the folder name Properties dialog box (where folder name is the name of the folder that you selected in step 1).

Please try and run a repair operation by following the below mentioned steps:

1. Launching Control Panel and clicking on Programs and Features.

2. Find the entry for Adobe Reader X and right click and chose "Change"

3. Follow the instructions to Repair your installation and restart if necessary.

Hopefully this will resolve the problem on your system.

Thanks

Ankit

• 5. Re: An Internal Error Occured (ADOBE READER X)
                  ptomas00 Community Member

Thanks a lot Ankit, it has worked.

Best regards.

Pere

• 6. Re: An Internal Error Occured (ADOBE READER X)
                    ECSSysDes Community Member

Ankit,

I have reset permissions and ran a repair and neither have fixed my issue.  What else can I try?

• 7. Re: An Internal Error Occured (ADOBE READER X)

Sorry for asking this question this late, but could you please let me know which is the default application to view the PDF on your system.

1. Is it Acrobat X or Reader X. You can find the same, by going to Edit > Preferences > General (section on the left pane) and clicking on "Select Default PDF Handler" button.

2. If its Adobe Acrobat X, try changing the default viewing application to Reader X via the dropdown in the dialog.

3. When prompted to close Reader, please do and restart if necessary.

4. Try and open a PDF now.

Also, please let me know if post the error message, does Adobe Reader crash? Or does it just displays the error without rendering the PDF.

Thanks

Ankit

• 8. Re: An Internal Error Occured (ADOBE READER X)
                        ECSSysDes Community Member

Ankit,

I do not have the option of selecting Adobe Reader X.  Should I download the latest free Reader?

• 9. Re: An Internal Error Occured (ADOBE READER X)

Please download the latest free Adobe Reader from http://get.adobe.com/reader and try if the above works.