6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2011 6:01 PM by ewholz-mac

Motion path changes gets larger when copied to Shape Position parameter

ewholz-mac

Hello There,

Richard Gerard has been helpful, and well as other people.

I have sorta figured out how get a stroke to follow a motion path.

I (so far) am unable to get a shape to follow the same motion path.

My shape is a small ellipse commonly known as a circle!

I have seen this post - http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/959085, which is interesting,

but does not work.  My shape layer consists of name, "Blue Circle",  and two properties below that:

Contents and Transform.  If i copy the path into the Transform-Position property the path is about 2

times bigger than the path I want to use, and does not start at the correct spot.

After reviewing the post above - I added a "path" to the ellipse in the "Contents" area, I can see the path, it is the correct size,

but the circle does not follow this path.  If I try to copy this path to one of the position properties, no dice,

the path completely displaces the shape to the wrong coordinates.

I must be missing something basic here, but have yet to find out.

Any tips will help.

Thanks,

eholz1

• 1. Re: Motion path changes gets larger when copied to Shape Position parameter
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

When you paste the path, it is being pasted in the coordinate space of the layer or object that you're pasting it into. Also, motion paths have their coordinates in composition space, whereas a mask path has its coordinates in layer space.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Motion path changes gets larger when copied to Shape Position parameter
            ewholz-mac Level 1

Hello Ted,

Thanks for this answer.  No I understand what happens, and why the pasted path is larger.

So, now I just need to figure out how to get the pasted path to match the comp.  I will review

the link you provided, and see if I can find a way to get the path matched correctly.

Thank you,

eric

• 3. Re: Motion path changes gets larger when copied to Shape Position parameter
              ewholz-mac Level 1

Hello Ted,

Question time (again).  I am beginning to understand the concept of layer coordinates, and comp coordinates.

I have a comp which is 853x480 pixels.  I have some layers, a map (853x960 pixels), a black solid same size as the map, a layer with dots and text labels which

is the same size as the map.  I have several masks drawn on the black solid layer, the coordinates for the map and the black solid seem fine.  I also have

the map set as the parent of the black solid, as well as the dot and text layer.  These move together.  I can stroke the path(s) on the black solid layer, and

the coordinates are maintained.  Then my problem, I have a small shape, a blue circle, it is about 15 px in dia.  I want the ball to lead the stroke for each path/mask.

the ball is supposed to move from point to point, just ahead of the stroke.  The ball also moves to a point, and stops, and then starts the next path.

I have been trying to copy the path from the black solid to a path or position for the blue ball, such that the ball moves with the stroke.

When I paste the path in to the position property for the blue ball, it pastes in, but is always off set one way or the other.  I have

been copying the next path to the blue shape layer position, but, needless to say it also changes the first set of keyframes.

How can I get the or a path for the blue shape to follow the path that the stroke does (of course the stroke uses the end property, with a percentage)

any tips will really help me on this.

Thanks for the help,

eric

• 4. Re: Motion path changes gets larger when copied to Shape Position parameter
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The position path is offset because your Black Solid with the mask isn't in the default position. Both Anchor Point and Position must be reset. Parenting can also foul this up. Here's how to fix it.

First of all, before you copy and paste the path remove parenting and return the solid with the mask to it's default position by resetting Anchoe Point and Position. Now when you paste the path to your Blue Ball it will exactly match the path on the solid layer. Once the path is set you can redo the parenting and reposition the layers but you must include the blue ball. If it were me I'd create a null and make that the parent of the Black Solid, the Blue Ball, and the Map. Now you can animate the position of the null to scroll across the map and the blue ball will follow.

To match the timing of the stroke to the blue ball you simply drag out the right most diamond keyframe on the blue ball position until it matches the last position of the stroke.. That's all there is it. Your timeline should look something like this:

Screen Shot 2011-10-10 at 10.02.22 PM.png

One last question. You have a non-standard composition size. It may not render correctly. What is the reason for the odd size. NTSC D1 Widescreen should be 872 X 486, It's acceptable to also have a comp that's 872 X 480. MPEG compression requires an even number of pixels so your 853 dimension is very likely to cause problems or be automatically resized to a standard frame size.

• 5. Re: Motion path changes gets larger when copied to Shape Position parameter
                  ewholz-mac Level 1

Hello Rick,

Thanks very much for this clarification.  I will try your suggestions here, and post back my results. 

I did discover something, which may have been part of my problem.   I created the layers for the comp

in Photoshop from a VERY LARGE MAP (1979 px wide by 2521 px high).  I cropped this to 853 px by 960 px, but

did a "hide" as part of the crop.  I realized this, when I read your latest post, and went back to review my image and

comp, etc.  The map and the black mask outlines were showing the 1979x2521 boundry lines.  the dots/text layer was showing at

the "correct" size of 853x960.  I have revised the crop to "delete" the extra material from the image.  Also, I will reset the sizes to

872x480 for NTSC D1 Widescreen - the final output is destined to be part of an FCP sequence on a DVD.

I will check the settings and positions as you suggest and reply.

Thanks very much,

Eric

• 6. Re: Motion path changes gets larger when copied to Shape Position parameter
                    ewholz-mac Level 1

Hello Rick,

that was it.  I will use the null object.  It seems that I was also thrown off (not seeing the obvious) by the fact

that I had not used the "delete" feature of the crop.  It seems that AE keeps the full image when a crop is done

in Photoshop using the "Hide" option.

By the way,  thank you is not quite enough for your response to my question.

Sincerely,

eric

aka eholz1