3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2011 4:57 AM by Steve Grisetti

Do I Need to Save Files when upgrading?

kidsguitar3 Level 1

Hi everyone,

I'm upgrading from Premiere Elements 2 to 9 and would like to know if I have to save my other files, videos & projects to another drive or will the upgrade keep them where they are at, on my E drive?

Thanks

Jeff

• 1. Re: Do I Need to Save Files when upgrading?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can certainly keep your media files and project files. The upgrade will not affect them.

However, as I explain in my books, it's NEVER a good idea to open an older version project file with a newer version of the program. This would be particularly true if you were trying to open a version 2 project in version 9. It nearly always causes corruptions and buggy behavior.

It's best to keep version 2 of the program on your computer and finish any version 2 projects in it. Use version 9 for starting new projects.

• 2. Re: Do I Need to Save Files when upgrading?
            kidsguitar3 Level 1

Thanks, Steve.

I finally finished old projects, installed Premiere 9 and started on new ones. A question that  I can't seem to get an answer for so far:  I've added multiple tracks to make a music video.  Any suggestions on how to work with visualizing multiple tracks.  To view each individual track in the monitor panel or switch between tracks, I use the enable feature.  I know there has to be an easier way.  Will adjusting the transparency or opacity help?

Thanks again!

jeff

• 3. Re: Do I Need to Save Files when upgrading?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The professional version of Premiere includes a tool for cutting between several tracks of video -- cutting between, for instance, several views of the same scene.

Premiere Elements does not. In Premiere Elements, you just need to manually work with your video tracks.