2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2011 12:59 PM by John Hawkinson

Linking InDesign to a database

bekaroni84

Does anyone know if there is a way to link InDesign to a database? Our problem is we are a consulting firm, and have people that have worked on multiple projects, and projects with multiple people on them. This leads to a disaster because the information on each of these is different, as it will get changed in one spot and the update doesn't make it everywhere. I am looking for a way to have all of our InDesign sheets pull from the same information, but have no idea how to do that. Everything seems to pull a whole document or file in, but I don't want to do that, I want to pull selected information from selected records in. Is there any way to do that?

• 1. Re: Linking InDesign to a database
          Grant H Level 4

yes you can: (ie even a spreadsheet) thats the good news, bad news... Its far too involved to describe here...

check out lynda.com and search for a suitable tutorial, also theindesigner.com had a dew vid tuts an this topic.

G

• 2. Re: Linking InDesign to a database
            John Hawkinson Level 5

Well, I don't think anything is too involved to discuss here, but there's no direct support in InDesign for links to databases. There are a variety of  third-party plugins that provide database access through links, especially Cataloging plugins (though there may be others as well). And through scripting, you can fake it, though it would not as smooth as clicking the update button in the Links panel.

So check out cataloging plugins for InDesign.