10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2011 1:00 PM by Steve Grisetti

DVD Quality - Jumpy

Ms Spielberg

Hi,

In the last 6 months the DVD quality has become jumpy when burning MPEGs to DVD using Premier Elements. Before this it was fine. I purchased a new camcorder but it hasn't improved. When I view the Mpegs on the computer they are fine, however after burning them to DVD and playing it in the DVD player (and a second one to test it), the quality is jumpy like it can't catch up when moving the camcorder. Do you think this is a problem with the computer's DVD burner, the software when compressing it to DVD or something else? I have always saved the movies as MPEG PAL Widescreen then combined several to make the DVD, is this what you'd recommend?

• 1. Re: DVD Quality - Jumpy
          Ms Spielberg Level 1

I use PE7

• 2. Re: DVD Quality - Jumpy
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Can you list the specs. of your new camera and its files, plus how you are Importing those files, and what the Project's Preset are?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: DVD Quality - Jumpy
              Ms Spielberg Level 1

Hi

I haven't changed any of the setting in Premier Elements.

The camcorder is a Sony Handycam DCR-SR78E. Previously I had the DCR-SR52E which used to be fine for creating DVDs until earlier this year when I noticed the jumpiness. That camcorder's LCD lost part of its colour so replacecd it with the 78. I haven't changed Premier elements settings throughout this process.

The files are mpegs which I copy to the laptop using a cable from the camcorder and Windows Explorer to move them around.

Project settings are Editing Mode DV PAL, Timebase 25.00 frames/second. Frame size 720*576  16:9

Playback settings are DV25i (720*576), 24p Conversion method is Interlaced Frame, Desktop Display mode is Standard.

Capture format: DV Capture

Video rendering: Maximum bit depth (unticked), Optimize stills (ticked)

Default timeline: Video 3 tracks, stereo 3 tracks

I've noticed discussion http://forums.adobe.com/message/1753696#1753696 which also uses a Sony camcorder. Could it be the same issue?

Please let me know if you would like any further info.

• 4. Re: DVD Quality - Jumpy
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I said in response to your other post, you are using MPEG files as your source footage. (That's the video type that camcorder produces.)

When you do this, you MUST set your project up using the preset for Hard Disk Camcorder. Otherwise the interlacing difference in MPEGs (which won't show up until you output your DVD) will conflict with that created when transcoding the DVD.

I guarantee that's your problem. It's a very common mistake that people make while using this program.

More details can be found in my books if you're interested.

• 5. Re: DVD Quality - Jumpy
                  Ms Spielberg Level 1

Thanks Steve. Where would I find the option to preset it to Hard Disk Camcorder?

• 6. Re: DVD Quality - Jumpy

Part 1 of my free 8 part Basic Training tutorial series shows you how to set up a project.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685

• 7. Re: DVD Quality - Jumpy
                      Ms Spielberg Level 1

Hi Steve

I have watche the full 8 part basic training tutorial series and want to say a huge thank you. I have learnt lots.

Following the tutorial I created a new project with the start-up setting changed to hard disk camcorder. I included just one mpeg which was previously made using the wrong settings. I burnt it to DVD and it was still jumpy. Would I need to go back to the original project that created the mpeg and 'render' each clip? I've seen something somewhere about rendering each clip but unsure what that means/how to do it.

Also from your tutorial I realise I've been making an error in saving mini-movies as mpegs not AVI. I then create a new project to collate all the mpegs. Should I be saving them as AVIs?

We went on vacation recently and I have created projects for each day and produced an mpeg per day. My next step is to burn it onto DVD without having to start the whole editing again. Can you suggest a solution?

Many thanks

Louise

• 8. Re: DVD Quality - Jumpy

If you've only added one MPEG to your project, rather than changing the project specs, right-click on the MPEG on your timeline and select Field Order/Reverse Field Dominance and that will fix it.

• 9. Re: DVD Quality - Jumpy
                          Ms Spielberg Level 1

It has worked. The DVD quality is much better. Thanks so much.

• 10. Re: DVD Quality - Jumpy

Great to hear, Ms. S!